Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 13:33:55 -0500

135 
ATHW40 PHFO 011833
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI OCT 01 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 01 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A FEW DIFFERENT FEATURES IN THE UPPER 
LEVELS ACROSS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC BASIN THIS MORNING. THE FIRST IS 
NORTH-NORTHWEST TO SOUTH-SOUTHWEST ORIENTED TROUGH ALOFT JUST TO THE 
EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THIS TROUGH HAS AN AXIS FROM 26N147W TO 
21N153W TO 13N156W. A FEW THUNDERSTORMS ARE BEING GENERATED 
SURROUNDING THE SOUTHERN BASE OF THE TROUGH MOSTLY CONCENTRATED 
BETWEEN 10N TO 15N AND 149W TO 164W. A WEAK UPPER RIDGE IS PRESENT 
400 MILES TO THE WEST OF KAUAI AND BOTH FEATURES ARE NEARLY 
STATIONARY. FURTHER TO THE WEST LIES ANOTHER UPPER LOW WITH A CENTER 
NEAR 23N179E. SCATTERED MID AND HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS ARE ASSOCIATED 
WITH THIS SYSTEM ACROSS THE NORTHERN FLANK OF THE LOW BOUNDED 
BETWEEN 24N TO 30N AND 172W TO 178E.

AT THE SURFACE...A SLOW MOVING WEAK SURFACE TROUGH IN THE AREA 
CONTINUES TO INDUCE BROKEN...OCCASIONALLY OVERCAST...LOW STRATUS 
CLOUDS AND SCATTERED LIGHT AND RADAR IS TRACKING MODERATE SHOWERS 
ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND ADJACENT WATERS. THE SURFACE 
TROUGH HAS A NORTH TO SOUTH AXIS FROM 19N158W TO 24N158W. CLOUDS AND 
SHOWERS ARE MOVING TOWARDS THE WEST-SOUTHWEST ON THE WEST SIDE OF 
THIS AXIS NEAR 10 TO 15 MPH WHILE SHOWERS EAST OF THE AXIS ARE 
NEARLY STATIONARY OR MOVING TO THE WEST AT 5 MPH.

OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN STRATUS CLOUDS COVER MOST OF 
THE INTERIOR WITH SOME BREAKS ALONG THE SOUTHERN COAST NEAR LIHUE. 
OAHU IS COVERED IN BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A 
FEW BREAKS ACROSS METRO HONOLULU THROUGH MAKAPUU. MOLOKAI HAS 
OVERCAST CLOUDS OVER THE WHOLE ISLAND. LANAI HAS BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
CLOUDS OVER THE NORTHERN HALF OF THE ISLAND WITH SMALL BREAKS OVER 
THE SOUTHERN HALF. WEST MAUI IS COVERED WITH LOW CLOUDS WHILE 
HALEAKALA AND EASTERN WINDWARD SLOPES ARE MOSTLY SUNNY. THE BIG 
ISLAND HAS OVERCAST CLOUDS OVER KONA...KOHALA...PUNA AND SOUTH HILO 
DISTRICTS UP TO 9 THOUSAND FEET. THE REST OF THE ISLAND IS MOSTLY 
SUNNY.

A WEAK FRONT IS MORE THAN 300 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI IS SLOWLY MOVING 
TOWARD THE SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST. MOST OF THE CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH 
THE SYSTEM ARE CURRENTLY NORTH OF A LINE FROM 36N137W TO 28N152W TO 
25N171W. THE LOW CLOUDS AT THE LEADING EDGE OF THE BOUNDARY ARE 
BECOMING MORE DIFFUSE WITH TIME.

FAR SOUTH OF HAWAII IN THE ITCZ...A LARGE AREA OF MODERATE TO STRONG 
THUNDERSTORMS IS BOUNDED BETWEEN 04N TO 11N AND 170W TO 180E. SOME 
CELLS ARE CLIMBING TO OVER 52 THOUSAND FEET IN THIS AREA. THE REST 
OF ITCZ CONSISTS OF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS MAINLY CONCENTRATED 
BETWEEN 09N TO 13N.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.