Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 19:30:14 -0500

787 
ATHW40 PHFO 020030
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SAT OCT 02 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 02 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A FEW DIFFERENT FEATURES IN THE UPPER 
LEVELS ACROSS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC BASIN THIS MORNING. THE FIRST IS 
NORTH-NORTHWEST TO SOUTH-SOUTHWEST ORIENTED TROUGH ALOFT JUST TO THE 
EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THIS TROUGH HAS AN AXIS FROM 26N149W TO 
21N154W TO 13N156W. A FEW THUNDERSTORMS ARE BEING GENERATED 
SURROUNDING THE SOUTHERN BASE OF THE TROUGH MOSTLY CONCENTRATED 
BETWEEN 10N TO 15N AND 148W TO 163W. A WEAK UPPER RIDGE IS PRESENT 
400 MILES TO THE WEST OF KAUAI AND BOTH FEATURES ARE NEARLY 
STATIONARY. FURTHER TO THE WEST LIES ANOTHER UPPER LOW WITH A CENTER 
NEAR 23N178E. SCATTERED HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS 
SYSTEM ACROSS THE NORTHERN FLANK OF THE LOW BOUNDED BETWEEN 25N TO 
32N AND 172W TO 176E.

AT THE SURFACE...A SLOW MOVING WEAK SURFACE TROUGH NEAR THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS CONTINUES TO INDUCE BROKEN...OCCASIONALLY 
OVERCAST...LOW STRATUS CLOUDS AND SCATTERED LIGHT AND RADAR IS 
TRACKING MODERATE SHOWERS ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND 
ADJACENT WATERS. THE SURFACE TROUGH HAS A NORTH TO SOUTH AXIS FROM 
19N159W TO 24N159W. CLOUDS AND SHOWERS MOTIONS OVER THE STATE ARE 
MOVING TOWARDS THE WEST-SOUTHWEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...SCATTERED STRATOCUMULUS AND CUMULUS 
CLOUDS COVER MOST KAUAI. OAHU IS COVERED IN BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
CLOUDS. MOLOKAI HAS OVERCAST CLOUDS OVER THE WHOLE ISLAND. RADAR IS 
ALSO TRACKING SCATTERED SHOWERS PASSING ACROSS OAHU AND MOLOKAI WITH 
WINDWARD AND MAUKA AREAS RECEIVING THE BRUNT OF THE RAINFALL. LANAI 
HAS BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS OVER THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE ISLAND 
WITH SMALL BREAKS OVER THE NORTHERN HALF. MAUI IS COVERED WITH 
OVERCAST CLOUDS INCLUDING HALEAKALA. A FEW BREAKS ARE OBSERVED ALONG 
THE NORTHWEST COAST. THE BIG ISLAND HAS OVERCAST CLOUDS UP TO 12 
THOUSAND FEET IN ELEVATION OVER MOST OF THE ISLAND WITH SOME BREAKS 
ALONG THE COAST FROM HILO TO APUA POINT.

A WEAK FRONT IS MORE THAN 280 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI IS SLOWLY MOVING 
TOWARD THE SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST. MOST OF THE CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH 
THE SYSTEM ARE CURRENTLY NORTH OF A LINE FROM 36N137W TO 28N152W TO 
25N171W. THE LOW CLOUDS AT THE LEADING EDGE OF THE BOUNDARY ARE 
BECOMING MORE DIFFUSE WITH TIME.

FAR SOUTH OF HAWAII IN THE ITCZ...A LARGE AREA OF MODERATE 
THUNDERSTORMS IS BOUNDED BETWEEN 04N TO 11N AND 170W TO 175E. SOME 
STORM TOPS ARE CLIMBING TO 50 THOUSAND FEET IN THIS AREA. THE REST 
OF ITCZ CONSISTS OF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS MAINLY CONCENTRATED 
BETWEEN 09N TO 13N.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.