Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 13:42:51 -0500

830 
ATHW40 PHFO 021842
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SAT OCT 02 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 02 2010

AN AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS COVERS THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM MOLOKAI EASTWARD AND SEEMS POISED TO SPREAD 
WEST TO OAHU WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR SO. THIS PATCHY CLOUD AREA IS 
ABOUT 100 MILES WIDE AND EXTENDS EAST TO WEST ALONG 20N BETWEEN 153W 
AND 167W. RADAR SHOWS SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS MODERATE SHOWERS WITHIN 
THIS CLOUD AREA...FOCUSED ON WATERS SOUTH OF OAHU AND KAUAI AS WELL 
AS UPWIND FROM MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS THESE 
SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING WEST AT ABOUT 15 MPH. 

KAUAI HAS SCATTERED TO PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS ITS EASTERN 
HALF. OAHU HAS A MIX OF SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS AND SCATTERED HIGH 
CLOUDS. IN CONTRAST...MOLOKAI HAS BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
ACROSS ALL BUT ITS NORTHERN SHORELINE. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
COVER WINDWARD AND SOUTH-FACING HALEAKALA SLOPES ON MAUI AS WELL AS 
ALL WINDWARD WEST SLOPES. OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER ALL WINDWARD BIG 
ISLAND SLOPES...WRAPPING SOUTHWEST ACROSS SOUTH-FACING PUNA AND KAU 
SLOPES. KONA SLOPES ARE MOSTLY CLEAR NORTH OF MILOLII AND SOUTH OF 
KAWAIHAE. 

A RATHER CHAOTIC LOW CLOUD PATTERN IS NOTED ACROSS THE CENTRAL NORTH 
PACIFIC OUTSIDE LOCAL HAWAIIAN WATERS. BROKEN STABLE LOW CLOUDS 
COVER SKIES EAST OF 148W BETWEEN 11N AND 27N...WHILE ANOTHER AREA OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS PERSISTS FROM 17N TO 22N BETWEEN 161W AND 166W. 
PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS LIE NORTH OF A LINE FROM 30N150W TO 23N165W 
AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 34N150W TO 28N169W. A MISHMASH OF PATCHY 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVERS SKIES WEST OF 170W BETWEEN 18N AND 32N. 

WHILE LOW LEVEL FLOW IS GENERALLY FROM EAST TO WEST SOUTH OF 30N...
A TROUGH IS NOTED ALONG A LINE FROM 23N164W TO 15N160W...WITH 
ANOTHER ONE NOTED JUST NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM 25N155W TO 
19N153W. LOW CLOUDS OVER THE ISLANDS AND BETWEEN 161W AND 166W ARE 
ASSOCIATED WITH THESE TROUGHS.

FAR TO THE SOUTH...ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...MARK THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE FROM 09N TO 13N W OF 150W. 
ADDITIONAL CB ARE NOTED FROM 23N TO 28N WEST OF 175W.  

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.