Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 19:33:23 -0500

557 
ATHW40 PHFO 030033
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SUN OCT 03 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 03 2010

LOW CLOUD COVER REMAINS SPARSE ACROSS KAUAI AND OAHU THIS 
AFTERNOON...WITH SCATTERED TO PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVERING THE 
EASTERN HALF OF KAUAI BUT ONLY WINDWARD KOOLAU SLOPES ON OAHU. CLOUD 
COVER HAS DECREASED ACROSS THE ISLANDS OF MAUI COUNTY...WITH MOLOKAI 
AND LANAI NOW BENEATH MAINLY SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS AND BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS LIMITED TO WINDWARD AND SOUTH-FACING HALEAKALA 
SLOPES ON MAUI. ONLY WINDWARD SLOPES ON WEST MAUI HAVE BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS. IN CONTRAST...BIG ISLAND CLOUD COVER HAS INCREASED 
SIGNIFICANTLY...ESPECIALLY ACROSS LEEWARD AREAS. BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS COVER ALL WINDWARD BIG ISLAND SLOPES...WRAPPING SOUTHWEST 
ACROSS SOUTH-FACING PUNA AND KAU SLOPES. ALL KONA SLOPES HAVE 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS SOUTH OF KAILUA-KONA. THROWN INTO THE MIX IS A 
PATCH OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS PASSING NORTHWESTWARD ACROSS ALL OF THE 
ISLANDS AT THIS HOUR. SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS LOW CLOUDS MOVING ACROSS 
HAWAIIAN WATERS GENERALLY TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 MPH. THERE 
IS A SURFACE TROUGH JUST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...CAUSING A BIT OF 
CYCLONIC TURNING RESULTING IN FLOW TOWARD THE WEST ACROSS WATERS 
EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE TROUGH AXIS EXTENDS THROUGH 23N155W AND 
19N154W.

A RATHER CHAOTIC LOW CLOUD PATTERN IS NOTED ACROSS THE CENTRAL NORTH 
PACIFIC OUTSIDE LOCAL HAWAIIAN WATERS. PATCHY BROKEN STABLE LOW 
CLOUDS COVER SKIES EAST OF 149W BETWEEN 11N AND 27N...WHILE ANOTHER 
AREA OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS PERSISTS FROM 17N TO 22N BETWEEN 162W AND 
168W. PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS LIE NORTH OF A LINE FROM 30N150W TO 
23N165W AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 34N150W TO 28N169W. A MISHMASH OF 
PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVERS SKIES WEST OF 170W BETWEEN 18N AND 
32N. 

WHILE LOW LEVEL FLOW IS GENERALLY FROM EAST TO WEST SOUTH OF 30N... 
A TROUGH IS NOTED ALONG A LINE FROM 23N164W TO 15N160W...WITH 
ANOTHER ONE NOTED JUST NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND NOTED BEFORE. 
LOW CLOUDS OVER THE ISLANDS AND BETWEEN 162W AND 168W ARE ASSOCIATED 
WITH THESE TROUGHS.

FAR TO THE SOUTH...ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...MARK THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE FROM 08N TO 13N W OF 151W. 
ADDITIONAL CB ARE NOTED FROM 23N TO 28N WEST OF 175W.  

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.