Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 19:36:48 -0500

204 
ATHW40 PHFO 040036
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON OCT 04 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 04 2010

SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS A WEAK SURFACE TROUGH EAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS...ALONG AN AXIS FROM 21N153W TO 15N151W. ANOTHER SURFACE 
TROUGH LIES WEST OF THE ISLANDS ALONG AN AXIS FROM 23N172W TO 
16N168W. THESE FEATURES ARE EASILY SEEN GIVEN THE BROKEN STABLE LOW 
CLOUD COVER ACROSS THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC NORTH OF A LINE FROM 
12N140W TO 15N150W TO 18N170W...AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 18N140W TO 
30N161W. WATER VAPOR LOOP...SHOWING FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE ABOUT 
24000 FEET...SHOWS AN UPPER LOW WEST OF THE ISLANDS NEAR 20N166W. 
THE UPPER LOW IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST SLOWLY...WHILE THE SURFACE 
TROUGHS APPEAR TO BE MOVING TOWARD THE WEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. 

CLOUD COVER ACROSS LOCAL WATERS HAS DECREASED SINCE THIS 
MORNING...BUT CONTINUES TO FAVOR WINDWARD AND MAUKA AREAS OF THE 
ISLANDS THEMSELVES. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER ALMOST ALL 
OF KAUAI. HOWEVER...THIS IS DUE TO A PATCH OF LOW CLOUDS ABOUT THE 
SIZE OF THAT ISLAND MOVING ACROSS IN THE TRADES. SKIES MAY CLEAR 
ACROSS AT LEAST THE LEEWARD HALF OF KAUAI WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR 
SO. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE KOOLAU SUMMITS AND WINDWARD SLOPES 
OF OAHU AS WELL AS THE SOUTHERN FRINGE ACROSS HONOLULU AND THE EWA 
PLAIN. THE EASTERN THIRD OF MOLOKAI HAS SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS PERSIST ACROSS MAUKA SECTIONS OF LANAI. 
MAUI HAS OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ACROSS WINDWARD AND NORTHWEST-FACING 
HALEAKALA SLOPES AS WELL AS ACROSS WINDWARD WEST MOUNTAIN SLOPES. 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER WINDWARD BIG ISLAND SLOPES SOUTH OF 
LAUPAHOEHOE...WRAPPING SOUTHWEST ACROSS SOUTH-FACING PUNA SLOPES. 
LOW CLOUD COVER HAS GREATLY INCREASED ACROSS KAU AND LEEWARD SLOPES 
OF THE BIG ISLAND...WITH OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS NOTED FROM KAU AROUND 
SOUTH POINT AND UP THE KONA SIDE THROUGH KAILUA-KONA. A SMALL PATCH 
OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS IS POISED TO CROSS PUNA AND HILO 
DISTRICTS OF THE BIG ISLAND. OTHERWISE WINDWARD WATERS HAVE 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS. EXCEPT FOR THE BIG ISLAND PLUME EXTENDING WEST 
FROM THE SOUTH KONA SHORELINE...LEEWARD WATERS HAVE SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS TO CLEAR SKIES. LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS 
AT ABOUT 20 MPH...WITH SWIFTER CLOUD MOTION NOTED IN THE EASTERN 
CHANNELS AND SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND.

SOUTH OF THE ISLANDS...ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...ARE FLARING 
WITHIN A RAGGED 120 MILE WIDE BAND CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 
10N148W TO 08N162W. ADDITIONAL CB ARE NEAR 12N140W.

$$
POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.