Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 13:30:30 -0500

140 
ATHW40 PHFO 041830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC MON OCT 04 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 04 2010

A MIX OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS IS 
MOVING ALONG THE TRADE WIND FLOW NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND 
MOST OF THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC.

NEAR THE ISLANDS...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS TRAVELLING FROM THE EAST AT 25 
TO 30 MPH ARE PILED UP ALONG WINDWARD AND MAUKA PORTIONS OF THE 
STATE. THE TRADES ARE STRONG ENOUGH TO CARRY SCATTERED TO LOCALLY 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER LEEWARD PORTIONS OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS AS 
WELL.

HIGH PRESSURE ALOFT CENTERED NORTH OF THE ISLANDS NEAR 30N152W IS 
PRODUCING STRONG SUBSIDENCE AND STABLE CONDITIONS OVER AND EAST OF 
THE STATE THAT IS CAPPING THE LOW CLOUDS AROUND 9 KFT. SATELLITE- 
DERIVED PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES ARE HOVERING AROUND 1.25 TO 1.4 
INCHES NEAR THE ISLANDS...DROPPING RAPIDLY TO THE EAST AND REACHING 
ABOUT 1 INCH NEAR 150W.

THE STABLE CONDITIONS FROM THE HIGH PRESSURE ALOFT IS SPREADING IN 
FROM THE EAST OVER THE ISLANDS AS AN UPPER LOW 560 MILES WEST OF 
KAUAI NEAR 22N169W MOVES OFF TO THE NORTHWEST AROUND 12 MPH. THIS 
WEAK FEATURE IS MANAGING TO TRIGGER ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULUS 
CELLS...AND POSSIBLY A THUNDERSTORM...WITH TOPS TO 30 KFT DIRECTLY 
UNDER THE CENTER.

TO THE SOUTH OF THE STATE...THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY WITHIN THE ITCZ IS 
LESS THAN NORMAL...THOUGH A WEAK TROUGH ALONG THE NORTHERN FRINGE OF 
THE ITCZ IS LOCATED 525 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE 
TROUGH RUNS ALONG 15N148W TO 11N142W AND IS MOVING TO THE WEST AT 20 
MPH. BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE FOUND WITHIN 150 MILES OF THE 
TROUGH...WHILE A COLLAPSING THUNDERSTORM IS NOTED AT THE SOUTHERN 
END OF THE FEATURE.

ELSEWHERE...A COLD FRONT MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 15 MPH IS NEAR 
THE NORTHWEST PORTION OF THE AREA AT 30N180 AND IS WEAKENING THE 
TRADE WIND FLOW NEAR MIDWAY ATOLL.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.