Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 00:38:22 -0500

669 
ATHW40 PHFO 050538
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE OCT 05 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 05 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW ABOUT 675 MILES WEST OF 
KAUAI MOVING WEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. A BROAD UPPER LEVEL HIGH IS 
CENTERED NEAR 30N150W OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND IS ALSO 
BUILDING EAST TO WEST OVER THE STATE TONIGHT. THIS IS RESULTING IN 
STRONG SUBSIDENCE AND STABLE CONDITIONS OVER AND EAST OF THE STATE 
THAT IS CAPPING THE LOW CLOUDS AROUND 8 KFT. AT THE SURFACE...A 
STRONG SURFACE HIGH CENTERED NEAR 40N135W HAS AN ASSOCIATED RIDGE 
EXTENDING TO 28N158W. FURTHER WEST IS A COLD FRONT WHICH IS TRACKING 
EASTWARD. THE SOUTHERN FRINGE OF AN ASSOCIATED OVERCAST CLOUD BAND 
GOES FROM 40N154W TO 30N174W TO 28N174E AND IS AROUND 200 MILES IN 
WIDTH. THE COMBINATION OF THE STRONG HIGH FAR TO THE NORTHEAST AND 
THE APPROACHING SYSTEM IS RESULTING IN MODERATE TO FRESH 
EAST-SOUTHEAST WINDS OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS TONIGHT. 
SOUNDINGS FROM HILO AND LIHUE FROM EARLIER TODAY ALONG WITH 
SATELLITE-DERIVED PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES SHOW THESE NUMBERS 
AROUND 1.2 TO 1.3 INCHES...BUT RAPIDLY DROPPING RAPIDLY TO 1 INCH 
UPSTREAM TO TO THE EAST.

FAR TO THE SOUTH OF THE STATE...THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY WITHIN THE 
ITCZ IS LESS THAN NORMAL...THOUGH A WEAK TROUGH ALONG THE NORTHERN 
FRINGE OF THE ITCZ IS APPROACHING SOUTHERN BIG ISLAND. THE TROUGH IS 
LOCATED ALONG 18N156W TO 11N141W AND IS TRAVELLING TO THE WEST NEAR 
25 MPH. BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE MOVING ONTO THE BIG ISLAND FROM 
THE EAST-SOUTHEAST AND RADAR IS PICKING UP SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER 
THE HILO DISTRICTS AND THE EASTERN COASTAL WATERS. MOST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND IS COVERED WITH THESE CLOUDS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE WATERS 
OVER THE KONA AND KOHALA COASTS AND ABOVE THE INVERSION LEVEL OF 8 
KFT OVER THE INTERIOR.

ACROSS THE STATE THIS EVENING...SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS AND 
STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS ARE MOVING FROM THE EAST-SOUTHEAST AROUND 25 
MPH. WHILE WINDS ARE PUSHING MUCH OF THESE CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD AND 
MAUKA AREAS TONIGHT...THE WINDS ARE STRONG ENOUGH TO CARRY SCATTERED 
TO LOCALLY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALONG WITH A FEW SHOWERS OVER LEEWARD 
PORTIONS OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS. RADAR IS PICKING UP WIDELY 
SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER MOST WINDWARD COASTS AND ADJACENT WATERS.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.