Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 13:28:35 -0500

702 
ATHW40 PHFO 051828
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE OCT 05 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 05 2010

MOISTURE ALONG THE NORTHERN FRINGE OF A SURFACE TROUGH PASSING JUST 
SOUTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS IS ENHANCING CLOUDS OVER THE 
EASTERN END OF THE STATE THIS MORNING.
 
THE TROUGH RUNS FROM 17N161W TO THE EAST SOUTHEAST TO 14N152W AND IS 
MOVING TO THE WEST AT 17 MPH. A BAND OF BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS 
EXTENDS 225 MILES NORTH OF THE TROUGH...AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS 
RISING TO 43 KFT ARE EMBEDDED IN THE BAND.

MOISTURE ALONG THE NORTHERN FLANK OF THE BAND IS ENHANCING CLOUD 
COVER OVER WINDWARD AND SOUTHEAST PORTIONS OF THE BIG ISLAND AND 
EAST MAUI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CUMULUS CLOUDS BLANKET THESE PORTIONS 
OF THE ISLANDS...AS WELL AS THE COASTAL WATERS 40 MILES TO THE EAST. 
CLOUD TOPS IN THIS AREA RISE TO 12 KFT...EVEN THOUGH RIDGING ALOFT 
IS CREATING SUBSIDENCE AND STABLE CONDITIONS OVER AND EAST OF THE 
ISLANDS.

ACROSS THE REST OF THE STATE...PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE 
CONFINED TO WINDWARD AND MAUKA AREAS...WHILE LEEWARD PORTIONS OF ALL 
ISLANDS ARE MOSTLY CLEAR. LOW CLOUD MOTIONS OVER NEARBY WATERS ARE 
FROM THE EAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH...VEERING OUT OF THE EAST SOUTHEAST 
NORTH OF KAUAI.

A WEAKENING COLD FRONT IS DRAPED OVER MIDWAY ATOLL. THE FRONT IS 
MARKED BY A 175 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS CENTERED 
ALONG 30N169W AND 28N180 AND IS DRIFTING TO THE SOUTH AT LESS THAN 
10 MPH. THE ADVANCE OF THE FRONT HAS DISPLACED THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE 
SOUTHWARD INTO THE AREA ALONG 30N151W TO 28N161W...LEADING TO THE 
VEERING LOW LEVEL FLOW NORTH OF KAUAI.

ABOUT 750 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE STATE...A SURFACE TROUGH EMBEDDED 
WITHIN THE ITCZ IS PRODUCING ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 46 
KFT SOUTH OF 13N AND EAST OF 150W. THUNDERSTORM COVERAGE HAS 
DECREASED IN THIS AREA DURING THE PAST SIX HOURS.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.