Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 00:42:19 -0500

554 
ATHW40 PHFO 060542
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED OCT 06 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 06 2010

BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING WESTWARD TO THE SOUTH OF THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS EVENING. THESE CLOUDS ARE ARRANGED 
WITHIN A CYCLONICALLY CURVED SWATH MAINLY SOUTH OF A LINE FROM KAUAI 
TO 15N154W AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM 17N164W TO 15N156W. WHILE 
SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS A LOW LEVEL TROUGH AXIS EXTENDS THROUGH 20N162W 
AND 16N160W...SURFACE OBSERVATIONS SHOW LITTLE OR NO CYCLONIC 
CURVATURE IN THE WIND FIELD. ONE OR TWO CUMULONIMBUS...CB...POP UP 
WITHIN THIS AREA FROM TIME TO TIME...ALL MORE THAN 150 MILES FROM 
THE ISLANDS. THE AREA OF LOW CLOUDS IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST AT 
ABOUT 15 MPH.

THE LARGEST NOTICEABLE CLOUD FEATURE IN THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC IS 
ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONTAL BOUNDARY NORTH OF THE ISLANDS. OVERCAST 
LAYERED CLOUDS FORM A 180 MILE WIDE BAND NORTH AND WEST OF A LINE 
FROM 40N144W TO 34N150W TO 32N155W. THE BAND EXTENDS FARTHER TO THE 
SOUTHWEST AS A BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUD BAND WITH THE SAME WIDTH 
NORTH OF A LINE FROM 32N155W TO 30N160W TO 26N180W. THIS CLOUD BAND 
IS MOVING TOWARD THE EAST AT ALMOST 40 MPH NEAR 40N...BECOMING 
NEARLY STATIONARY SOUTH OF 30N. THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS CLOUD BAND 
IS ABOUT 540 MILES NORTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 

SCATTERED CB EMBEDDED WITHIN OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS COVER SKIES 
WEST OF 162W BETWEEN 05N AND 11N. MORE ISOLATED CB AND BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS FORM A 90 MILE WIDE ARC FROM 05N140W TO 11N147W TO 08N162W. 

BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE EASTERN HALF OF KAUAI AND WINDWARD 
KOOLAU SLOPES ON OAHU. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE 
EASTERN THIRD OF MOLOKAI...WHILE LANAI APPEARS TO BE MOSTLY CLEAR. 
MAUI HAS BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS WINDWARD HALEAKALA SLOPES AS WELL 
AS WINDWARD WEST SLOPES. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER ALL 
WINDWARD BIG ISLAND SLOPES...WRAPPING SOUTHWEST ACROSS SOUTH PUNA 
SLOPES. KAU HAS BROKEN LOW CLOUDS...BUT THESE APPEAR TO BE 
DECREASING. LOCAL HAWAIIAN WATERS EAST OF KAUAI HAVE SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS. SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS LOW CLOUDS MOVING ACROSS LOCAL WATERS 
GENERALLY TOWARD THE WEST AT 20 TO 25 MPH.

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.