Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 07:36:31 -0500

628 
ATHW40 PHFO 061236
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED OCT 06 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC OCTOBER 06 2010

A CYCLONICALLY-CURVED BAND OF BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS...COMPLETE 
WITH ISOLATED EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...HAS PASSED SOUTH OF THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ON ITS WAY WESTWARD THIS MORNING. COVERING 
SKIES SOUTH OF 20N...WEST OF 160W AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM 17N160W 
TO 20N166W...THIS CLOUD AREA MARKS A WEAK LOW LEVEL TROUGH WITH AN 
AXIS EXTENDING THROUGH 19N165W AND 15N163W. MOVEMENT TOWARD THE WEST 
IS AT ABOUT 15 MPH.

THE LARGEST NOTICEABLE CLOUD FEATURE IN THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC IS 
ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONTAL BOUNDARY NORTH OF THE ISLANDS. OVERCAST 
LAYERED CLOUDS FORM A 180 MILE WIDE BAND NORTH AND WEST OF A LINE 
FROM 40N141W TO 32N150W TO 31N154W. THE BAND EXTENDS FARTHER TO THE 
SOUTHWEST AS A BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUD BAND WITH THE SAME WIDTH 
NORTH OF A LINE FROM 31N154W TO 30N160W TO 26N180W. THIS CLOUD BAND 
IS MOVING TOWARD THE EAST AT 30 TO 40 MPH NEAR 40N...BECOMING NEARLY 
STATIONARY SOUTH OF 30N. THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS CLOUD BAND IS 
ABOUT 510 MILES NORTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 

SCATTERED CB EMBEDDED WITHIN OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS COVER SKIES 
WEST OF 168W BETWEEN 05N AND 11N. MORE ISOLATED CB AND BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS FORM A 90 MILE WIDE ARC FROM 05N140W TO 11N147W TO 07N160W TO 
07N168W. 

BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE EASTERN THIRDS OF KAUAI AND OAHU AS WELL 
AS THE EASTERN TIP OF MOLOKAI. CENTRAL LANAI APPEARS TO HAVE BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS AS WELL. SCATTERED TO PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER 
WINDWARD HALEAKALA SLOPES ON MAUI AS WELL AS WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE 
WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER WINDWARD HALEAKALA 
SLOPES SOUTH OF LAUPAHOEHOE...WITH LINGERING SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUD ACROSS SOUTH-FACING PUNA AND KAU SLOPES. THE KONA SIDE OF THE 
BIG ISLAND APPEARS TO HAVE SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS TO CLEAR SKIES. 
SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS LOW CLOUDS MOVING ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS 
GENERALLY TOWARD THE WEST AT 20 MPH.

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.