Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 13:31:50 -0500

586 
ATHW40 PHFO 061831
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC WED OCT 06 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 06 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE JUST NORTH OF THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. AN UPPER LEVEL LOW IS LOCATED NEAR 20N178W... 
OR ABOUT 550 MILES SOUTH OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS LOW IS MOVING TO THE 
WEST AT 15 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED WITHIN 150 
MILES OF THE LOW. CLOUDS TOPS EXTEND UP TO 34000 FT. 

THE LEADING EDGE OF A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND EXTENDS FROM 30N156W TO 
25N180...OR FROM 600 MILES NORTH OF HONOLULU TO 250 MILES SOUTH 
SOUTHWEST OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS BAND IS 150 MILES WIDE AND IS NEARLY 
STATIONARY. HOWEVER...INDIVIDUAL CLOUD ELEMENTS ARE MOVING TO THE 
WEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH WEST OF 170W. 

AN AREA OF SHOWERY CLOUDS IS LOCATED BETWEEN 300 MILES AND 500 MILES 
SOUTHWEST OF HONOLULU...CENTERED NEAR 19N163W. THIS AREA OF CLOUDS 
IS COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS ELEMENTS... 
WITH EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS ELEMENTS. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 38000 
FT. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE WEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE 
EASTERN HALF OF KAUAI AND THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE KOOLAU RANGE ON 
OAHU. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER EASTERN MOLOKAI...EAST OF A LINE FROM 
KALAUPAPA TO KAMALO. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER 
MAUKA LANAI AND THE INTERIOR OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS COVER THE EASTERN SLOPES OF HALEAKALA FROM HANA TO KAUPO 
BELOW 5000 FT. 

ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW AND MID LEVEL CLOUDS 
COVER MUCH OF SOUTH HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS...AS WELL AS A SMALL 
PORTION OF NORTH HILO DISTRICT BELOW 7000 FT. THESE CLOUDS EXTEND 20 
MILES OFFSHORE TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE WINDWARD COAST. PATCHES OF 
OVERCAST CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER KAU DISTRICT AS WELL...GENERALLY 
BELOW 7000 FT. THESE CLOUDS ALSO EXTEND 30 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE 
SOUTHEAST. BROKEN CLOUDS ALSO EXTEND ALONG THE KONA COAST SOUTH OF 
CAPTAIN COOK. THESE CLOUDS EXTEND 250 MILES WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
IN A PLUME 30 MILES TO 50 MILES WIDE. 

AREAS OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED UPSTREAM TO THE 
EAST AND NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF STABLE CLOSED CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS...WITH 
EMBEDDED SHOWERY OPEN CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS. THEY ARE GREATEST IN 
COVERAGE NORTH OF 20N EAST OF 150W...AND BETWEEN 24N AND 28N EAST OF 
163W. A SURFACE RIDGE IS LOCATED GENERALLY BETWEEN 27N AND 29N. 
SOUTH OF THE RIDGE...CLOUD MOTION IS GENERALLY TO THE WEST AT 10 TO 
15 MPH. NORTH OF THE RIDGE...CLOUD MOTION IS GENERALLY TO THE NORTH 
AND NORTHEAST AT AROUND 10 MPH. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.