Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 19:29:53 -0500

202 
ATHW40 PHFO 070029
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC THU OCT 07 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 07 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE JUST NORTH OF THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. AN UPPER LEVEL LOW IS LOCATED NEAR 20N180... 
OR ABOUT 600 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS LOW IS 
MOVING TO THE WEST AT 20 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE 
LOCATED WITHIN 150 MILES OF THE LOW. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 38000 
FT. 

THE LEADING EDGE OF A DISSIPATING FRONTAL CLOUD BAND EXTENDS FROM 
30N156W TO 25N180...OR FROM 600 MILES NORTH OF HONOLULU TO 250 MILES 
SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS BAND IS UP TO 150 MILES WIDE 
AND IS NEARLY STATIONARY. HOWEVER...INDIVIDUAL CLOUD ELEMENTS ARE 
MOVING TO THE WEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH WEST OF 170W. 

AN AREA OF SHOWERY CLOUDS IS LOCATED BETWEEN 300 MILES AND 600 MILES 
WEST SOUTHWEST OF HONOLULU...CENTERED NEAR 19N165W. THIS AREA OF 
CLOUDS IS COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS 
ELEMENTS...WITH EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS ELEMENTS. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP 
TO 35000 FT. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE WEST AT 20 MPH. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE 
INTERIOR OF KAUAI AND NIIHAU...AND EXTEND 20 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE 
SOUTHWEST. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE SLOPES OF THE 
WAIANAE RANGE ON OAHU...AND EXTEND 30 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE 
SOUTHWEST. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER THE 
KOOLAU RANGE. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER MOLOKAI EAST OF KAMALO AND 
SOUTHWEST OF MAUNALOA. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER LEEWARD 
LANAI...GENERALLY SOUTHWEST OF LANAI CITY. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS COVER SOUTHEASTERN SLOPES OF HALEAKALA FROM HANA TO KAUPO 
TO ULUPALAKUA BELOW 6000 FT. 

ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN CLOUDS COVER THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE 
KOHALA RANGE...AS WELL AS MUCH OF NORTH AND SOUTH HILO AND PUNA 
DISTRICTS BELOW 7000 FT. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS COVER KAU 
DISTRICT BELOW 8000 FT...AND EXTEND 30 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE SOUTH 
AND SOUTHWEST. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS ALSO COVER NORTH AND SOUTH 
KONA DISTRICTS BELOW 7000 FT SOUTH OF KEAHOLE POINT. SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER THE REST OF NORTH KONA DISTRICT AS 
WELL AS LEEWARD SECTIONS OF NORTH AND SOUTH KOHALA DISTRICTS. THE 
INTERIOR OF THE BIG ISLAND IS MOSTLY CLEAR...EXCEPT FOR AN AREA OF 
BROKEN CLOUDS OVER LEEWARD SLOPES OF MAUNA KEA BETWEEN 7000 FT AND 
10000 FT. 

PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED UPSTREAM TO THE EAST AND 
NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THESE CLOUDS ARE A MIX OF 
STABLE CLOSED CELL CUMULUS AND SHOWERY OPEN CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS. 
THEY ARE GREATEST IN COVERAGE NORTH OF 20N EAST OF 150W...AND 
BETWEEN 24N AND 27N EAST OF 162W. A SURFACE RIDGE IS LOCATED 
GENERALLY BETWEEN 26N AND 28N. SOUTH OF THE RIDGE...CLOUD MOTION IS 
TO THE WEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. NORTH OF THE RIDGE...CLOUD MOTION IS 
TO THE NORTH AND NORTHEAST AT AROUND 10 MPH. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.