Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 00:59:03 -0500

042 
ATHW40 PHFO 090558 AAA
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE...UPDATED
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0555 UTC SAT OCT 09 2010
UPDATED TO INCLUDE VORTEX

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 09 2010

THE SATELLITE IMAGERY OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AT SUNSET SHOWS 
A COUPLE OF POOLS OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS LOCATED OVER THE LEEWARD 
COASTAL WATERS OF KAUAI...THAT IS AFFECTING NIIHAU AS WELL...AND THE 
WATERS OFF THE WAIANAE COAST OF OAHU. THESE CLOUDS ARE THE EXTENSION 
FROM INTERIOR KAUAI AND THE WAIANAE DISTRICT OF OAHU RESPECTIVELY. 
THERE ARE ALSO SOME MINOR...LOCALLY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE 
KOOLAU MOUNTAINS OF OAHU...THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF MOLOKAI AND 
WINDWARD MAUI. CLEAR TO SCATTERED CLOUDS PREDOMINATES THE WINDWARD 
WATERS OF KAUAI AND OAHU AND WATERS AROUND MAUI COUNTY.

AS FOR THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN COVERAGE CONTINUED OVER THE LOWER 
SLOPES AND COASTAL SECTIONS OF THAT ISLAND. THE WATERS OFF THE KONA 
COAST IS MOSTLY CLEAR...HOWEVER...SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS THE 
LEADING EDGE OF AN AREA OF VERY LOOSE SHOWER BEARING CLOUDS 
ADVANCING ON CAPE KUMUKAHI AND THE HAMAKUA COAST. THIS SHOWER AREA 
IS 200 MILES LONG.

THE LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING FROM EAST TO WEST AT AROUND 15 MPH.

ELSEWHERE ON THE SATELLITE IMAGERY...A FRONTAL BAND IS LOCATED 660 
MILES NORTH NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. IT IS ADVANCING SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST 
AT 15 MPH. THE FRONTAL BAND HAS A WIDTH OF 130 MILES. 

HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS COVERED THE AREA BETWEEN KAUAI AND THE 
DATELINE. THE CIRRUS APPEARS TO DISSIPATE UPON NEARING KAUAI.

A LOW LEVEL VORTEX DENOTED BY A COUPLE OF THUNDERSTORMS IS LOCATED 
AT 17.8N176.7W. IT IS MOVING WEST AT 15 MPH.

A RATHER LARGE SHOWER AREA IS PASSING SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND WHICH 
HAS A LENGTH OF 800 MILES...FROM 150W TO 165W.

A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MILES TO THE SOUTH OF THIS SHOWER AREA IS THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE /ITCZ/. THE AXIS OF THE ITCZ IS FROM 
9.5N140W TO 9.5N160W TO 11.5N170W TO 08N177W. SCATTERED MODERATE TO 
STRONG THUNDERSTORMS ARE LOCATED WITHIN 120 MILES EITHER SIDE OF THE 
ITCZ BUT CONCENTRATED EAST OF 160W AND WEST OF 170W.

$$
LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.