Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 07:45:36 -0500

502 
ATHW40 PHFO 091245
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1240 UTC SAT OCT 09 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC OCTOBER 09 2010

THE LATEST SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS OVER THE  
WATERS SURROUNDING THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THIS INCLUDED THE 
WATERS OFF THE KONA COAST. WEATHER RADAR IS PICKING MAINLY LIGHT 
SHOWERS WITH THESE CLOUDS. BUT THERE ARE MORE PRONOUNCED ONES AS 
WELL...LOCATED OVER THE WATERS SOUTH OAHU AND KAUAI AND WEST OF 
NIIHAU. THESE CLOUDS AND SHOWERS ARE MOVING FROM EAST TO WEST AT 
AROUND 15 MPH.

OVER LAND...LOCALLY BROKEN CLOUD COVERAGE IS FOUND OVER THE 
WINDWARD AND MOUNTAIN SECTIONS OF ALL ISLANDS...WHILE THE LEEWARD 
AREAS...INCLUDING THE KONA SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND...IS CLEAR TO 
SCATTERED. 

MORE SHOWERS ARE PRESENT UPWIND OF THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI.

ELSEWHERE...SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS A FRONTAL BAND 550 MILES NORTH 
OF KAUAI. THE BAND CONTINUES TO MOVE SOUTHEAST AND SOUTH AT AROUND 
17 MPH. 

THE HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS BETWEEN KAUAI AND THE DATELINE HAS 
THINNED AND RETREATED WESTWARD.

A LOW LEVEL VORTEX ABOUT 1200 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI...NEAR 
18N178W...IS HARDER TO LOCATED NOW THAT THE DEEPER CONVECTION HAS 
DISSIPATED.

THE LARGE SHOWER AREA CONTINUES TO MOVE WEST WHILE PASSING SOUTH OF 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE BACK EDGE OF THIS AREA IS NOW NEARLY 
DIRECTLY SOUTH OF SOUTH POINT BIG ISLAND. 

A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MILES TO THE SOUTH OF THIS SHOWER AREA IS THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE /ITCZ/...WITH THE COORDINATES OF 
9.5N140W...9.5N160W...11.5N170W AND 08N177W. THE ITCZ REMAINS ACTIVE 
WITH SCATTERED MODERATE TO STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN 120 MILES 
EITHER SIDE OF THE ZONE BUT CONCENTRATED BETWEEN 157W AND 143W.

$$
LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.