Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 00:24:09 -0500

851 
ATHW40 PHFO 100524
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0520 UTC SUN OCT 10 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 10 2010

A LOOP OF THE SATELLITE IMAGERY FOR THE PAST 6 HOURS OF THE HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS SHOWS AN INCREASING TREND IN LOW CLOUD COVERAGE ESPECIALLY 
OVER THE WINDWARD WATERS FROM KAUAI TO THE BIG ISLAND. AT SUNSET... 
THE COVERAGE IS GENERALLY BROKEN THERE. THE LOW LEVEL WINDS... 
BLOWING FROM EAST TO WEST...ARE CARRYING THESE CLOUDS ONSHORE 
THEREBY CAUSING BROKEN COVERAGE OVER THE WINDWARD AND MOUNTAIN 
AREAS. WEATHER RADAR IS ALSO STARTING TO PICKING UP INCREASING 
SHOWERS WITH THESE CLOUDS. ELSEWHERE...THE LEEWARD AREAS OF ALL 
ISLANDS INCLUDING THE KONA SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND...HAS CLEAR SKIES 
TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS. THE LEEWARD WATERS HAS MAINLY SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS. THE LOW LEVEL WINDS HAVE A SPEED OF 25 TO 30 MPH.

OUTSIDE THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A BATCH OF SHOWER BEARING CLOUDS 
IS CLOSING IN ON THE BIG ISLAND FROM THE EAST...WHERE THE LEADING 
EDGE OF THIS AREA IS ABOUT 100 MILES EAST OF CAPE KUMUKAHI. THE BULK 
OF THE WEATHER HOWEVER APPEARS TO LAG FURTHER EAST BY 170 MILES AS 
NOTED BY SOME ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS /TCU/. THE TCU/S ARE 
PRESENT IN THE AREA BETWEEN 300 AND 500 MILES EAST SOUTHEAST OF CAPE 
KUMUKAHI. THIS ENTIRE AREA IS MOVING WEST AT 20 MPH.

TO THE NORTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WE FIND A RAGGED FRONTAL 
BAND ABOUT 470 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI. THE COORDINATES OF THIS BAND 
ARE FROM 33N140W TO 30N151W TO 29N160W. THIS SEGMENT OF THE BAND 
APPEARS STATIONARY AND WEAKENING. THE FRONT EXTENDS FURTHER NORTH TO 
A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IN THE GULF OF ALASKA. THERE IS ALSO A 
STATIONARY LINE OF BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS LOCATED TO THE SOUTH OF THE 
FRONT FROM 31N144W TO 29N150W TO 27N157W.

FAR WEST OF KAUAI AROUND THE DATELINE...SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS AN 
AREA OF DEEP CONVECTION BETWEEN 23N AND 20N FROM 177W TO 177E. DENSE 
CIRRUS CLOUDS EXTENDS NORTH TO NEAR MIDWAY ATOLL LOCATED AT 
28.2N177.4W.

THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE /ITCZ/...CONTAIN AREAS OR 
POCKETS OF MODERATE TO STRONG THUNDERSTORMS. THE AXIS OF THE ITCZ 
RUNS FROM 08.5N140W TO 10N165W TO 09N180E. THE STORMS RESIDES WITHIN 
150 MILES EITHER SIDE OF THE ITCZ.

$$

LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.