Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:16:30 -0500

216 
ATHW40 PHFO 101825
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN OCT 10 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 10 2010

THE MAIN FEATURE OF INTEREST THIS MORNING IS AN AREA OF SHOWERY LOW 
CLOUDS AFFECTING THE EASTERN HALF OF THE STATE.  THIS AREA EXTENDS 
120 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND AND 
MAUI COUNTY...AND TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST NEAR 16N 150W. TRACKING DATA 
FROM NESDIS INDICATED THAT THE AREA WAS MOVING WESTWARD AT 20 MILES 
PER HOUR. SOME OF THE CLOUD TOPS WERE UP TO 10000 FT AND RADAR DATA 
SHOWED SCATTERED LIGHT TO MODERATE SHOWERS OVER THE WINDWARD COASTAL 
WATERS OF MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. THE PORTION OF THE SHOWER AREA 
BETWEEN 150 AND 300 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND HAD TALLER  
CLOUDS WITH TOPS UP TO AROUND 13000 FT.  NORTHEAST OF THE SHOWER 
AREA WAS A 70 MILE WIDE BAND OF MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES FOLLOWED BY 
ANOTHER AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS.

VISIBLE IMAGES SHOWED KAUAI UNDER SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS.  
A SIMILAR COVERAGE OF LOW CLOUDS ALSO COVERED THE KOOLAU RANGE ON 
OAHU WHILE THE REST OF THE ISLAND WAS UNDER MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES. WEST 
MOLOKAI AS WELL AS CENTRAL AND UPCOUNTRY MAUI WERE ALSO MOSTLY 
SUNNY.  WINDWARD WEST MAUI AND WINDWARD HALEAKALA FROM HAIKU TO 
KIPAHULU HAD BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUD COVER. ON THE BIG 
ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVERED THE WINDWARD SLOPES 
FROM LOWER PUNA TO HAWI IN KOHALA. PATCHY BROKEN CLOUDS WERE ALSO IN 
THE HUMUULA SADDLE REGION.  THE REST OF THE BIG ISLAND APPEARED TO 
BE UNDER MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES.  

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A WEAK AND POORLY DEFINED UPPER LEVEL LOW 
CENTERED NEAR 21N 145W.  A BROAD TROUGH EXTENDS FROM THE LOW TO 
ABOUT 10N 152W.  ALTHOUGH LIMITED IN DEEP CONVECTION...THE TROUGH 
HAD QUITE A BIT OF HIGH CLOUDS WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS 
COVERAGE EXTENDING SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM 20N 140W TO 12N 152W.

THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE...ITCZ...STRADDLES 10N WITH MOST 
OF THE ASSOCIATED DEEP CONVECTION WEST OF 162W.  THERE WAS VERY 
LIMITED AMOUNTS OF DEEP CONVECTION WITHIN THE ITCZ BETWEEN 140W AND 
162W.

$$

KODAMA

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.