Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 19:25:12 -0500

808 
ATHW40 PHFO 110025
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON OCT 11 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 11 2010

A SHOWER AREA EMBEDDED WITHIN THE TRADE WINDS HAS BEEN PUSHING 
WESTWARD ACROSS THE ISLAND CHAIN TODAY AT 20 MILES PER HOUR.  THIS 
AREA SHOWS UP IN THE POLAR ORBITER PRECIPITABLE WATER DATA AS A 
NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST WEDGE OF HIGHER MOISTURE WITH VALUES FROM 
1.3 INCHES NEAR MOLOKAI TO 1.5 INCHES NEAR THE BIG ISLAND. 
PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES WERE LESS THAN AN INCH TO THE NORTHEAST 
AND SOUTHWEST OF THE WEDGE. THE LEADING EDGE OF THE SHOWERY LOW 
CLOUDS WAS ABOUT 120 MILES SOUTHWEST OF LAHAINA AND ITS TRAILING 
EDGE WAS 40 TO 50 MILES NORTHEAST OF KAHULUI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
CONDITIONS HAVE COVERED THE WINDWARD SLOPES FROM OAHU TO THE 
BIG ISLAND. RADAR DATA INDICATED SCATTERED LIGHT TO MODERATE SHOWERS 
FALLING FROM THESE CLOUDS. NORTHEAST OF THE SHOWER AREA WAS A 100 
MILE WIDE BAND OF MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES FOLLOWED BY ANOTHER AREA OF 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS.

IN ADDITION TO THE WINDWARD CLOUDINESS...LEEWARD SLOPES OF THE BIG 
ISLAND AND MAUI HAVE BECOME COVERED BY BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS.  
THESE CLOUDS HAVE PUSHED UP THE SLOPES OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA 
SOMEWHAT HIGHER THAN NORMAL AS CLOUD EDGES REACH UP TO ABOUT 10000 
FT.  KAUAI WAS THE OUTLIER WITH ONLY SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS AND A 
PATCH OF BROKEN THIN HIGH CLOUDS OVERHEAD.

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A WEAK AND POORLY DEFINED UPPER LEVEL LOW 
CENTERED NEAR 20N 147W.  A BROAD TROUGH EXTENDS FROM THE LOW TO 
ABOUT 10N 152W.  ALTHOUGH LIMITED IN DEEP CONVECTION...THE TROUGH 
HAD QUITE A BIT OF HIGH CLOUDS WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS 
COVERAGE EXTENDING SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM 20N 139W TO 11N 150W.

THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE...ITCZ...STRADDLES 10N WITH MOST 
OF THE ASSOCIATED DEEP CONVECTION WEST OF 162W.  THERE WAS VERY 
LIMITED AMOUNTS OF DEEP CONVECTION WITHIN THE ITCZ BETWEEN 140W AND 
162W.  THE DEEP CONVECTION WEST OF 170W HAD TOPS PUSHING ABOVE 53000 
FT.

$$

KODAMA

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.