Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 00:26:12 -0500

739 
ATHW40 PHFO 110526
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC MON OCT 11 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 11 2010
THE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS AND SHOWERS THAT MOVED ACROSS 
THE STATE SUNDAY MORNING AND AFTERNOON IS AT THIS WRITING OVER AND 
SOUTH OF KAUAI AND MOVING WEST. THESE CLOUDS ARE LAYERED TO NEAR 
16000 FEET. ALSO OVER AND NEAR KAUAI ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN HIGH 
CLOUDS AT 35000 FEET. THESE HIGH CLOUDS...WHICH ARE ON THE SOUTHEAST 
SIDE OF A SMALL UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED NEAR 23N162W...HAVE BEEN 
MOVING VERY SLOWLY TO THE NORTHWEST.

OVER OAHU...THERE ARE A HANDFUL OF CLOUD LINES RUNNING PARALLEL TO 
AND SOUTHWEST OF THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS. THESE MOUNTAIN WAVE CLOUDS... 
WHICH USUALLY OCCUR WHEN THE TRADES ARE SWIFT AND THE ATMOSPHERE IS 
STABLE...ARE GOOD INDICATORS OF LOW LEVEL TURBULENCE. THE CLOUDS ARE 
STATIONARY WITH TOPS NEAR 5500 FEET.

DOWN THE ISLAND CHAIN...MOLOKAI LANAI AND MAUI ARE FOR THE MOST PART 
CLEAR EXCEPT FOR AREAS OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS OVER HIGHER 
TERRAIN. CLOUD TOPS HERE ARE NEAR 4000 FEET WITH SOME UP TO 8500 
FEET.

A GOOD PORTION OF THE BIG ISLAND BELOW 8500 FEET IS COVERED WITH 
BROKEN CLOUDS. THE CLOUDS ARE RAPIDLY ON THE DECREASE HOWEVER...AS 
IS USUALLY THE CASE IN THE EVENING HOURS. THE GREATEST CLOUD COVER 
CAN BE SEEN OVER THE SOUTHERN END OF THE ISLAND. SKIES ABOVE 8500 
FEET ARE CLEAR.

EXCEPT FOR ALL OF THE CLOUDS AROUND KAUAI AND SOUTH OF OAHU...OCEAN 
COASTAL WATERS SURROUNDING THE ISLANDS ARE SITTING UNDER SCATTERED 
FAIR WEATHER CUMULUS CLOUDS. FURTHER AFIELD...THERE ARE TWO PATCHES 
OF BROKEN SHOWER-BEARING CLOUDS 100 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND AND 150 MILES NORTHEAST OF OAHU. ALL OF THE LOW CLOUDS OVER 
WATER ARE MOVING TO THE WEST AT 20 TO 25 MPH IN THE TRADE WINDS.

OUT MANY HUNDRED MILES NORTHEAST AND SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES SOUTHWEST 
OF THE ISLANDS...THERE ARE NOTHING BUT LOW CLOUDS BELOW THE TRADE 
WIND SUBSIDENCE INVERSION. ASIDE FROM THE PATCHY HIGH CLOUDS OVER 
KAUAI...THERE ARE HIGH CLOUDS SOUTH OF A JETSTREAM RUNNING FROM 
23N170W SOUTHEASTWARD TO 14N155W THEN NORTHEASTWARD TO 18N140W AND 
BEYOND. THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE BEING BLOWN OFF THE TOPS OF SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE...ITCZ. THE 
ITCZ STRADDLES 10N WITH MOST OF THE 53000 FOOT HIGH THUNDERSTORMS 
WEST OF 162W. 

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.