Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 07:34:04 -0500

381 
ATHW40 PHFO 111233
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC MON OCT 11 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC OCTOBER 11 2010
THE BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS AND SCATTERED SHOWERS THAT WERE ABOUT 
100 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS SIX HOURS AGO HAVE MOVED OVER 
WINDWARD SECTIONS OF THE ISLANDS. THE ONLY ISLAND WITH SCATTERED 
WINDWARD CLOUDS IS MOLOKAI...AND THAT ISLAND IS FIXING TO SEE MORE
CLOUDS IN SHORT ORDER. EVEN SKIES OVER LANAI...OR AT LEAST THAT PART 
OVER THE AIRPORT...HAVE SCATTERED TO BROKEN CLOUDS. 

THE LOW CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 8000 FEET ARE MOVING TO THE WEST AT 20 
TO 25 MPH IN THE TRADE WINDS. EXCEPT FOR THE BLOCKING ACTION OF 
MOUNT HALEAKALA...THE SMALLER ISLAND MOUNTAINS ARE NOT STOPPING THE 
FAST-MOVING CLOUDS FROM GETTING OVER TO LEEWARD SECTIONS. IN FACT 
SCATTERED CLOUDS ARE SEEN HUSTLING ACROSS LEE AREAS...EXCEPT WEST OF 
HALEAKALA WHERE SKIES ARE CLEAR. ON THE LEEWARD SIDE OF THE BIG 
ISLANDS...SOUTH KONA IS COVERED WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS... 
WHILE SKIES NORTH OF MOUNT HUALALAI AND SOUTH OF MILOLII ARE CLEAR.

SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS EXTEND HUNDREDS OF MILES IN ALL 
DIRECTIONS OF THE ISLANDS...EXCEPT FOR THE ISOLATED TO SCATTERED 
LOW CLOUDS SEEN SOUTH OF 18N. 

HIGH CLOUDS ARE LOCATED SOUTH OF A JETSTREAM THAT RUNS FROM 30N170W 
SOUTHEASTWARD TO 17N160W AND 11N150W THEN NORTHEASTWARD TO 18N140W 
AND BEYOND. THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE BEING BLOWN OFF THE ANVIL TOPS OF 
NUMEROUS THUNDERSTORMS IN AN AREA BOUNDED BY 167W AND 180W...AND 16N 
AND 10N. THUNDERSTORM TOPS HERE ARE AT A LOFTY 53000 FEET. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS STRUNG OUT ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE... 
ITCZ ARE ALSO CONTRIBUTING HIGH CLOUDS TO THE JETSTREAM. THE ITCZ 
STRADDLES 08N...TO THE EAST OF 165W. 

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.