Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 19:30:53 -0500

246 
ATHW40 PHFO 120030
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC TUE OCT 12 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 12 2010

OVERALL...FEWER CLOUDS OVER THE ISLAND CHAIN COMPARED TO 24-HOURS 
AGO WHEN A SHOWER AREA MOVED ACROSS THE STATE. LOW CLOUDS 
CONTINUE TO MOVE TOWARD THE WEST-SOUTHWEST AT 20 TO 25 MILES PER 
HOUR WITHIN THE TRADE WIND FLOW. FOLLOWING THE PASSAGE OF A SHOWER 
AREA THIS MORNING...KAUAI HAS DRIED OUT WITH ONLY FEW TO SCATTERED 
CLOUDS OVER THE ISLAND AND ITS ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS. OAHU IS A 
BIT CLOUDIER THAN USUAL FOR TRADE WIND CONDITIONS WITH SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS EVEN OVER LEEWARD AREAS AND EXTENDING INTO THE 
KAIWI CHANNEL. THE MIDDLE AND UPPER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA AND THE WEST 
MAUI MOUNTAINS HAVE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS WHILE THE LOWER 
ELEVATIONS WERE MOSTLY CLEAR. ON THE BIG ISLAND...THE USUAL 
AFTERNOON BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS HAVE DEVELOPED OVER THE KONA AND 
KAU SLOPES WHILE THE WINDWARD SLOPES HAVE SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS. LEEWARD KOHALA AND THE SLOPES OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA 
LOA ARE MOSTLY CLEAR.  

BEYOND THE WINDWARD COASTAL WATERS FROM 22N TO 27N BETWEEN 140W AND 
160W...PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING TOWARD THE WEST AT 15 
TO 20 MILES PER HOUR.  ONE AREA...FROM 22N TO 25N BETWEEN 145W AND 
150W...APPEARS TO HAVE EMBEDDED SHOWERS AND SHOWS UP IN THE 
SATELLITE DERIVED PRECIPITABLE WATER DATA AS A SLIGHTLY ENHANCED 
MOISTURE AREA WITH PW VALUES AT 1.1 TO 1.3 INCHES SURROUNDED BY 
VALUES AN INCH OR LESS. NORTH OF 27N...LOW CLOUDS ARE MORE WIDELY 
DISPERSED. 

WATER VAPOR DATA SHOW A POORLY DEFINED UPPER LEVEL LOW ABOUT 470 
MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILO. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS EMBEDDED IN THE TRADES 
AND BENEATH THE UPPER LEVEL LOW ARE RATHER SHOWERY IN APPEARANCE 
SOUTH OF 17N AND EAST OF 149W. A BROAD TROUGH EXTENDS FROM THE LOW 
CENTER TO APPROXIMATELY 10N 151W. THE ASSOCIATED SUBTROPICAL JET 
AXIS RUNS ALONG A LINE FROM 19N 167W TO 10N 151W TO 16N 140W.  THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE...ITCZ...IS WITHIN A 400 TO 600 MILE 
WIDE BAND TO THE SOUTH OF THE JET.  EARLIER DEEP CONVECTION FAR 
SOUTHWEST OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WITH TOPS AS HIGH AS 55000 FT... 
DISSIPATED A FEW HOURS AGO.

$$

KODAMA

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.