Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 00:37:02 -0500

725 
ATHW40 PHFO 120536
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE OCT 12 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 12 2010

SCATTERED TO BROKEN CLOUDS COVER ALL OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS...WITH 
THE USUAL GREATER NUMBER OVER WINDWARD AND MAUKA SECTIONS THAN OVER 
LEEWARD AREAS. THE ONLY SMALL ISLAND ABOUT TO SEE MORE CLOUDS IS 
KAUAI. THE BIG ISLAND ALSO HAS A CLASSIC CLOUD DISTRIBUTION...WITH 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN CLOUDS PILED UP ON THE WINDWARD COAST AND 
SLOPES...OVERCAST BUT DECREASING CLOUDS OVER KONA AND SOUTH KAU... 
AND CLEAR SKIES OVER THE INTERIOR ABOVE 6000 FEET.

THERE ARE NOTHING BUT LOW CLOUDS WITHIN 500 MILES OF HAWAII. THE 
CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN FOR THE MOST PART...EXCEPT FOR A 
HANDFUL OF CLUMPS WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST COVERAGE. THERE ARE THREE 
CLUMPS WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND THAT MAKE UP THE BIG ISLAND PLUME. ONE 
IS ON THE SOUTH KONA COAST...ANOTHER IS CENTERED ABOUT 130 MILES TO 
THE WEST...AND THE THIRD IS ABOUT 450 MILES TO THE WEST OF KONA. 
ANOTHER CLUMP EXTENDS ABOUT 160 MILES NORTH OF THE KAUAI CHANNEL... 
AND THE LAST AND LARGEST AREA...ABOUT 200 MILES WIDE...IS CENTERED 
450 MILES NORTHEAST OF MAUI. 

WITH THE POORER RESOLUTION OF INFRARED IMAGERY...IT IS DIFFICULT TO 
TELL IF THE CLOUDS HAVE A SHOWERY APPEARANCE. THE LAST FEW VISIBLE 
IMAGES OF THE DAY HOWEVER SHOW THAT MOST OF THE CLOUDS IN THE CLUMPS 
HAVE SHOWERS WHILE LESS THAN HALF OF THE OTHER CLOUDS HAVE SHOWERS. 
ALL OF THE CLOUDS...EXCEPT FOR THOSE ANCHORED ON THE BIG ISLAND... 
ARE MOVING TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 20 TO 25 MPH. CLOUDS WITHIN THE 
CLUMPS EXTEND UP TO 13000 FEET...AND THE REST TOP OFF AT 6000 FEET.

ALOFT...THERE IS A POORLY DEFINED UPPER LEVEL LOW ABOUT 470 MILES 
SOUTHEAST OF HILO. A BROAD TROUGH EXTENDS FROM THE LOW CENTER TO 
APPROXIMATELY 10N151W. A SUBTROPICAL JETSTREAM RUNS ALONG A LINE 
FROM 20N167W TO 11N155W TO 19N140W. THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE 
ZONE...ITCZ...IS SITUATED WITHIN A 400 TO 600 MILE WIDE BAND SOUTH 
OF THE JET. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE STRUNG OUT WITHIN THE BAND.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.