Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 07:37:15 -0500

532 
ATHW40 PHFO 121237
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE OCT 12 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC OCTOBER 12 2010

NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY REGARDING THE DISTRIBUTION OF THE TRADE 
WIND CLOUDS AROUND THE SMALLER ISLANDS AT THIS WRITING. NAMELY...
THEY ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN ALONG NORTHEAST FACING COASTS AND LOWER 
SLOPES...BROKEN TO OVERCAST OVER HIGHER TERRAIN...AND ISOLATED TO 
SCATTERED DOWNWIND OR WEST SOUTHWEST OF THE MOUNTAINS. THE CENTRAL 
VALLEY OF MAUI HAS BEEN CONSISTENTLY FREE OF CLOUDS OVER THE LAST 6 
HOURS...WHILE CLOUDS HAVE COME AND GONE OVER THE REMAINDER OF THE 
SMALLER ISLANDS. CLOUD TOPS ARE NEAR 7500 FEET.

THE BIG ISLAND HAS BROKEN CLOUDS ALONG THE HAMAKUA AND PUNA COASTS 
AND BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS ALONG THE SOUTH KONA COAST BETWEEN 
KAILUA-KONA AND MILOLII. THE REST OF THE ISLAND APPEARS TO BE 
SITTING UNDER CLEAR SKIES. CLOUD TOPS ARE NEAR 9500 FEET.

BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS SURROUND THE ISLANDS...EXCEPT FOR 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN CLOUDS EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE CLOUDS ARE 
MOST CONCENTRATED IN A 150 MILE WIDE BAND ARCING FROM WEST OF KAUAI 
SOUTH THEN SOUTHEASTWARD TO THE SOUTH KONA COAST. WITH THE CLOUDS 
MOVING TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 20 TO 25 MPH...THE BAND WILL PROCEED 
SMARTLY AWAY FROM THE STATE. HOWEVER...BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS 
EXTENDING HUNDREDS OF MILES TO THE EAST NORTHEAST ARE HEADED TOWARD 
THE SMALLER ISLANDS.

A SUBTROPICAL JETSTREAM IS LOCATED SOUTH OF HAWAII...RUNNING ALONG A 
LINE FROM WEST OF KAUAI NEAR 24N170W SOUTHEASTWARD TO SOUTH OF THE 
BIG ISLAND NEAR 12N156W THEN NORTHEASTWARD TO EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
NEAR 20N140W. SOUTH OF THE JETSTREAM IS A 400 TO 600 MILE WIDE BAND 
OF LAYERED CLOUDS. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS PINPOINT THE INTERTROPICAL 
CONVERGENCE ZONE...ITCZ...ALONG A LINE FROM 14N180W TO 08N170W TO 
08N153W TO 12N150W AND 09N140W. THE THUNDERSTORMS ARE MOST NUMEROUS 
FROM 09N TO 14N BETWEEN 140W AND 151W AND FROM 11N TO 15N BETWEEN 
170W AND 180W.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.