Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 00:39:09 -0500

291 
ATHW40 PHFO 130538
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED OCT 13 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 13 2010

WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH JUST TO THE EAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND WITH AN AXIS FROM 27N146W TO 14N159W. SATELLITE DERIVED 
WINDS INDICATE A 75 MPH JET STREAK ON THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE 
TROUGH. AN ASSOCIATED SURFACE TROUGH HAS AN AXIS FROM 17N151W TO 
10N155W. THIS SYSTEM IS PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF DENSE LAYERED 
CLOUDS WITH ISOLATED EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 45 
KFT AND IS BOUNDED BETWEEN 08N TO 18N AND TO 144W TO 156W. CIRRUS 
CLOUDS FROM THE JET STREAM RUN TO THE NORTHEAST OF THIS BOUNDED AREA.

UPSTREAM OF THE STATE...AN AREA OF SHOWERY CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS 
CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER THE HAWAIIAN WINDWARD COASTAL AND OFFSHORE 
WATERS. THESE CLOUDS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH WEAK DISTURBANCE MOVING 
EAST TO WEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH ACROSS THE STATE THIS EVENING. THE 
CLOUDS AND ASSOCIATED SHOWERS ARE BEGINNING TO INCREASE IN AREAL 
COVERAGE AND MOVE OVER THE STATE. FURTHER NORTH IS A STATIONARY 
FRONT IS POSITIONED ALONG AN AXIS FROM 38N142W TO 32N164W TO 35N178W 
AS IS CHARACTERIZED BY A 150 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST STRATUS 
CLOUDS. THE ASSOCIATED LONG WAVE UPPER TROUGH AND MID AND HIGH LEVEL 
MOISTURE IS PRODUCING AREAS OF LAYERED CLOUDS WITH TOPS AROUND 35 
KFT.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...AS MENTIONED MUCH OF THE WINDWARD 
WATERS HAVE BROKEN CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED SHOWERS. KAUAI HAS CUMULUS 
CLOUDS OVER THE MOST OF THE ISLAND THIS EVENING. OAHU ALSO HAS 
BROKEN CLOUDS WITH SOME CLEARING ACROSS THE EWA PLAIN. MOLOKAI HAS 
BROKEN CLOUDS ACROSS THE EASTERN HALF OF THE ISLAND WITH CLEARING 
OVER THE WESTERN HALF. MAUI HAS CLOUDS ACROSS THE LEEWARD SIDE OF 
THE ISLAND AND A FEW CLOUDS NEAR HANA. THE BIG ISLAND HAS OVERCAST 
CLOUD BUILD UPS OVER MOST OF THE ISLAND INTERIOR UP TO 9 KFT IN 
ELEVATION.

FAR SOUTH OF HAWAII IN THE ITCZ...NUMEROUS THUNDERSTORMS COVER AN 
AREA BETWEEN 05N AND 14N ALONG THE CENTRAL PACIFIC BASIN. CLOUD TOPS 
REACH TO 47 KFT IN HEIGHT.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.