Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 07:30:13 -0500

541 
ATHW40 PHFO 131230
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED OCT 13 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC OCTOBER 13 2010

WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH JUST TO THE EAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND WITH AN AXIS FROM 25N150W TO 16N159W. SATELLITE DERIVED 
WINDS INDICATE A 75 MPH JET STREAK ON THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE 
TROUGH. AN ASSOCIATED SURFACE TROUGH HAS AN AXIS FROM 15N151W TO 
10N155W. THIS SYSTEM IS PRODUCING AN AREA OF DENSE LAYERED CLOUDS 
WITH ISOLATED EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS /CB/ CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 45 KFT. 
THE CLOUDS ARE BOUNDED BETWEEN 08N TO 16N AND TO 145W TO 155W AND 
HAS DECREASED IN AREAL COVERAGE OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. CIRRUS 
CLOUDS FROM THE JET STREAM RUN TO THE NORTHEAST OF THIS BOUNDED AREA.

AN AREA OF STRATUS AND STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER THE 
HAWAIIAN WINDWARD AND MAUKA AREAS AND ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS AND 
MOVING EAST TO WEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. THESE CLOUDS ARE ASSOCIATED 
WITH WEAK DISTURBANCE PASSING ACROSS THE STATE EARLY THIS MORNING 
WHICH IS PRODUCING OCCASIONAL SHOWERS FOR THE WINDWARD SIDES OF THE 
ISLANDS. IR SATELLITE SHOWS MOST OF THE CLOUDS AND SHOWERS 
CONCENTRATED ACROSS THE SMALLER MAIN ISLANDS AT THIS TIME. THE 
CLOUDS EXTEND FROM THE ISLANDS NORTHWARD TO AROUND 27N AND ARE 
BOUNDED AT 155W TO THE EAST. ANOTHER BATCH OF MOISTURE BEGINS 30 
MILES UPSTREAM OF THE BIG ISLAND IS MOVING FROM THE EAST TOWARDS THE 
WINDWARD SIDE. THIS AREA OF CLOSED CELL CUMULUS CLOUDS IS BOUNDED 
BETWEEN 20N TO 23N AND 138W TO 155W AND IS ALSO TRAVELING TO THE 
WEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

 FURTHER NORTH IS A STATIONARY FRONT IS POSITIONED ALONG AN AXIS 
FROM 38N140W TO 31N160W TO 37N178E AND IS CHARACTERIZED BY A 200 
MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST STRATUS CLOUDS. THE ASSOCIATED LONG WAVE 
UPPER TROUGH AND MID AND HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE IS PRODUCING AREAS OF 
LAYERED CLOUDS WITH TOPS AROUND 30 KFT.

FAR SOUTH OF HAWAII IN THE ITCZ...THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DECREASED OVER 
THE LAST SIX HOURS. SCATTERED CB CLOUDS COVER AN AREA BETWEEN 06N 
AND 14N ALONG THE CENTRAL PACIFIC BASIN. CLOUD TOPS REACH TO 46 KFT 
IN HEIGHT.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.