Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:20:16 -0500

922 
ATHW40 PHFO 140020
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC THU OCT 14 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 14 2010

A STABLE TRADE WIND FLOW WITH A COMPLEX PATTERN ALOFT REMAINS OVER 
THE REGION.

LOW CLOUD COVER AND MOISTURE IN THE TRADE WIND FLOW OVER AND JUST 
EAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE BELOW NORMAL. MOSTLY FEW TO 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS EAST OF THE ISLANDS ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE 
EAST AT 13 TO 20 MPH...WITH THE SLOWEST MOTIONS OBSERVED NEAR KAUAI. 
SATELLITE-DERIVED PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES RANGE BETWEEN 1.0 TO 
1.2 INCHES...THOUGH A DRY SLOT NEAR OAHU HAS VALUES BELOW 0.9 OF AN 
INCH. AS A RESULT...ONLY SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER MAUKA 
SECTIONS OF OAHU...WHILE BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER WINDWARD SLOPES OF 
THE OTHER ISLANDS. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER LEEWARD 
SLOPES OF ALL ISLANDS EXCEPT OAHU.

STABLE CONDITIONS PREVAIL OVER THE STATE...AS THE ISLANDS LIE UNDER 
A WEAKENING MID LEVEL RIDGE...AND JUST WEST OF OF A BROAD UPPER 
LEVEL TROUGH OCCUPYING MUCH OF THE CENTRAL PACIFIC. A WEAK SHORTWAVE 
JUST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI IS DROPPING INTO THE UPPER TROUGH AND 
GENERATING A NARROW BAND OF SCATTERED ALTOCUMULUS OVER THE GARDEN 
ISLE. THE SHORTWAVE ALOFT IS HAVING LITTLE EFFECT ON A WEAK LOW 
LEVEL TROUGH MOVING IN THE TRADE WIND FLOW NORTH OF KAUAI. THIS 
TROUGH RUNS ALONG 27N156W TO 23N163W AND IS MARKED BY SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS THAT ARE SKIRTING JUST NORTH OF KAUAI.

TO THE SOUTH AND EAST OF THE STATE...A 300 TO 400 MILE-WIDE SHIELD 
OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS CENTERED FROM 10N152W TO 22N140W EXTENDS ALONG 
THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE UPPER TROUGH. A WEAK...EMBEDDED UPPER LOW 
225 MILES EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND NEAR 20N152W IS TRIGGERING A SMALL 
CLUSTER OF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 42 KFT ABOUT 250 TO 
400 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.

A STRONGER SHORT WAVE DROPPING INTO THE THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS 
DRIVING A SURFACE FRONT ABOUT 450 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI. THE FRONT IS 
DRIFTING SOUTH SLOWLY AND IS MARKED BY BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS WITH 
ISOLATED...EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 43 KFT FROM 29N TO 
30N BETWEEN 170W AND 155W.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.