Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 00:00:14 -0500

318 
ATHW40 PHFO 140500
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0500 UTC THU OCT 14 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0430 UTC OCTOBER 14 2010

A BAND OF MIDDLE AND HIGH CLOUDS...ORIENTED NORTHEAST TO 
SOUTHWEST...HAS BEEN MOVING OVER KAUAI FROM THE WEST AND NORTHWEST.

AT THE LOWER LEVELS...MOST AREAS AROUND THE ALOHA STATE ARE CLEAR TO 
PARTLY CLOUDY.  THE REMAINING LOW CEILINGS HAVE BEEN FAVORING 
WINDWARD...MAUKA...AND UPSLOPE SECTIONS ON THE INDIVIDUAL ISLES.  
THIS IS ESPECIALLY THE CASE ON THE BIG ISLAND...THOUGH SKIES HAVE 
RECENTLY BECOME NEARLY CLEAR IN HAMAKUA AND WINDWARD NORTH KOHALA. 
LOW CLOUD MOVEMENT IS FROM THE EAST BETWEEN 15 AND 20 MPH ACROSS THE 
ISLAND CHAIN.

BROKEN LOW CLOUDS EXIST WEST OF NIIHAU...AND WEST CLOCKWISE THROUGH 
NORTH OF KAUAI.  PATCHY SCATTERED TO OCCASIONALLY BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDINESS IS EVIDENT NORTH CLOCKWISE THROUGH EAST OF MAUI COUNTY 
AND THE BIG ISLAND.  ALL THE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TOWARD THE WEST WITH 
THE PREVAILING TRADE FLOW.  IGNORING ANY MIDDLE AND HIGH 
CLOUDINESS...CONDITIONS ARE OTHERWISE CLEAR TO SCATTERED IN THE 
ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS.

A FRONT IS MORE THAN 450 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI AND HAS BEEN MOVING 
SOUTH SLOWLY...THOUGH IT APPEARS TO BE STALLING ALONG OR JUST SOUTH 
OF 30N.  SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE 
SYSTEM HAVE BEEN OCCURRING IN THE AREA FROM 27.5N TO 30N BETWEEN 
154W AND 164W.

ALOFT ABOVE 25 THOUSAND FEET...THE AXIS OF A NORTHEAST-TO-SOUTHWEST 
ORIENTED STATIONARY TROUGH IS JUST OVER AND EAST OF THE ISLANDS.  
ANOTHER TROUGH...WEAKER AND LESS PRONOUNCED AREALLY...HAS BEGUN TO 
MOVE OVER KAUAI FROM THE WEST AND NORTHWEST.  IT IS THIS LATTER 
FEATURE THAT IS INDUCING THE MIDDLE AND HIGH CLOUDINESS OVER THE 
GARDEN ISLE...AS MENTIONED IN THE FIRST PARAGRAPH.  AT THE 
MOMENT...NEITHER TROUGH IS AFFECTING SURFACE WEATHER APPRECIABLY 
NEAR THE ISLES...THOUGH A SWATH OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS IS 
BEING GENERATED ON THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE MAIN TROUGH WELL EAST OF 
THE STATE.

UNORGANIZED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS HAVE BEEN FIRING ALONG THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE FAR SOUTH OF HAWAII.  MOST OF THE 
ACTIVITY HAS BEEN IGNITING FROM 07.5N TO 13.5N BETWEEN 154W AND THE 
DATE LINE AT 180.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.