Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:30:23 -0500

048 
ATHW40 PHFO 170030
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SUN OCT 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 17 2010

AS OF 2 PM...THE SMALLER ISLANDS HAD BROKEN CLOUDS OVER MOUNTAINS 
AND CLEAR SKIES OR SCATTERED CLOUDS ELSEWHERE. UPWIND OR EAST OF 
MOLOKAI AND OAHU WAS AN AREA OF BROKEN SHOWER-BEARING CLOUDS MOVING 
TO THE WEST. FAR FEWER SHOWERY CLOUDS WERE DETECTED UPWIND OF THE 
OTHER ISLANDS.

THE BIG ISLAND WAS COVERED BY BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS...EXCEPT FOR 
THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA LOA AND MAUNA KEA...A NARROW GAP BETWEEN THE 
TWO VOLCANOES OVER THE SADDLE...AND THE KAU DESERT WHERE SKIES WERE 
MOSTLY CLEAR.

MOST OF THE CLOUDS OVER LAND WERE STATIONARY WHILE THOSE OVER WATER 
WERE MOVING TO THE WEST AT 20 MPH. CLOUD TOPS AS CALCULATED FROM 
CLOUD TOP TEMPERATURES WERE AT OR BELOW 10000 FEET.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED AN UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED WEST OF 
HAWAII NEAR 22N172W. THE LOW WAS TRIGGERING SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS 
FROM 12N TO 23N BETWEEN 163W AND 175W...AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS 
FROM 26N AND 30N BETWEEN 162W AND 171W. THE CLOSEST THUNDERSTORMS 
WERE 300 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI. 

A SECOND SMALLER LOW WAS LOCATED FAR NORTH OF THE BIG ISLAND NEAR 
28N154W. SEVERAL THUNDERSTORMS WERE FIRING OFF IMMEDIATELY EAST OF 
THE LOW CENTER. THIN HIGH CLOUDS WERE MOVING OVER THE ISLANDS IN THE 
SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW SOUTHEAST OF THE TWO LOWS AND A BROAD UPPER LEVEL 
TROUGH CONNECTING THE TWO. THE CIRRUS CLOUDS WERE NEAR 24000 FEET. 
BOTH THE LOWS AND THE TROUGH WERE NEARLY STATIONARY. 

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.