Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 00:30:52 -0500

591 
ATHW40 PHFO 170530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SUN OCT 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 17 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS SEVERAL UPPER LEVEL TROUGHS OVER THE 
CENTRAL PACIFIC AREA. ONE UPPER TROUGH IS CENTERED NEAR 22N175W AND 
IS DRIFTING WEST AT 20 MPH. ANOTHER UPPER TROUGH IS FOUND NEAR 
27N154W...OR ABOUT 600 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF HONOLULU AND IS 
NEARLY STATIONARY. ANOTHER UPPER TROUGH IS GRAZING THE NORTHEAST 
CORNER OF THE AREA JUST NORTHEAST OF 30N140W. AN UPPER LEVEL JET IS 
CRISS-CROSSING THE AREA TO THE SOUTH OF THESE FEATURES RUNNING FROM 
15N170W TO THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND OFF TO THE EAST NORTHEAST 
OVER 1000 MILES. 

ALL OF THE UPPER LEVEL FEATURES ARE RESULTING IN SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY AND PLENTY OF LAYERED CIRRUS MOVING FROM THE 
DEEP CONVECTION ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. INFRARED IMAGERY 
SHOWS THE GREATEST CONCENTRATION OF SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS...WITH 
TOPS TO 50000 FEET...IN THE AREA FROM 22N TO 16N BETWEEN 165W AND 
175W. THESE STORMS ARE NEARLY STATIONARY AND EMBEDDED IN LAYERED MID 
AND HIGH CLOUDS. MORE SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS EXTEND SOUTHWARD FROM 
14N TO NEAR 11N BETWEEN 170W AND 173W...WITH ADDITIONAL 
THUNDERSTORMS SOUTH OF 10N NEAR THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE. 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE LOCATED 600 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF 
HONOLULU MOVING SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS 
ARE ALSO LOCATED 600 TO 800 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...WITH 
A LARGER CONCENTRATION ABOUT 900 MILES EAST SOUTHEAST OF HILO NEAR 
16N140W. 

OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...THE AFOREMENTIONED HIGH CLOUDS ARE 
OBSCURING LOW CLOUD FEATURES OVER MAUI COUNTY. ELSEWHERE...BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER ALL THE LOWER SLOPES OF THE BIG 
ISLAND...AND EXTEND OVER THE NEARBY LEEWARD COASTAL WATERS. BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN OVER THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS OF OAHU AND ALONG THE 
WINDWARD COASTLINE AND THE WAIANAE COAST AND THE ADJACENT LEEWARD 
OAHU COASTAL WATERS. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE OVER KAUAI 
AND THE REST OF THE COASTAL WATERS HAVE A FEW TO SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS. LOW CLOUD TOPS ARE GENERALLY NEAR 10000 TO 12000 FEET 
ACROSS THE ISLANDS AND ARE MOVING TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 
MPH IN AREAS FREE OF TERRAIN. 

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.