Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 07:32:43 -0500

718 
ATHW40 PHFO 171232
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SUN OCT 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC OCTOBER 17 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A COUPLE OF UPPER LEVEL TROUGHS OVER THE 
CENTRAL PACIFIC AREA. ONE BROAD UPPER TROUGH IS CENTERED NEAR 
22N174W AND IS DRIFTING WEST AT 15 MPH. A SMALLER SCALE UPPER 
TROUGH IS FOUND NEAR 26N154W...OR ABOUT 450 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF 
HONOLULU AND IS DRIFTING SOUTH SOUTHWEST AT 10 MPH. AN UPPER LEVEL 
JET IS CRISS-CROSSING THE AREA TO THE SOUTH OF THESE 
TROUGHS...RUNNING FROM 15N170W TO THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND OFF 
TO THE EAST NORTHEAST OVER 1000 MILES. 

ALL OF THESE UPPER LEVEL TROUGHS ARE HELPING TO ORGANIZE SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY...AND THE UPPER JET IS SPREADING SCATTERED 
LAYERED CIRRUS FROM DEEP TROPICAL CONVECTION ACROSS THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. INFRARED IMAGERY SHOWS THE GREATEST CONCENTRATION 
OF SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS...WITH TOPS TO 50000 FEET...IN THE AREA 
FROM 22N TO 16N BETWEEN 167W AND 177W. THESE STORMS ARE NEARLY 
STATIONARY AND EMBEDDED IN EXTENSIVE LAYERED MID AND HIGH CLOUD 
DECKS. MORE SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS EXTEND FROM 14N TO 09N BETWEEN 
170W AND 177W. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE LOCATED 450 TO 600 MILES 
NORTH NORTHEAST OF HONOLULU MOVING SOUTHWEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 38000 FEET ARE ALSO LOCATED 350 
TO 550 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...WITH A LARGER 
CONCENTRATION OF THUNDERSTORMS TO 52000 FEET LOCATED ABOUT 900 
MILES EAST SOUTHEAST OF HILO NEAR 16N140W. 

OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...THE AFOREMENTIONED HIGH CLOUDS ARE 
OBSCURING LOW CLOUD FEATURES OVER MAUI COUNTY. ELSEWHERE...BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER THE LOWER WINDWARD AND SLOPES OF THE BIG 
ISLAND...AND EXTEND OVER THE NEARBY WINDWARD COASTAL WATERS 
SOUTHWARD TO SOUTH POINT. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN OVER THE 
WINDWARD KAUAI COASTAL WATERS AND ACROSS THE KAUAI CHANNEL. LOW 
CLOUD TOPS ARE GENERALLY NEAR 9000 TO 11000 FEET ACROSS THE ISLANDS 
AND ARE MOVING TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH IN AREAS FREE 
FROM TERRAIN. 

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.