Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 13:30:29 -0500

159 
ATHW40 PHFO 171830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN OCT 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 17 2010

AS OF 8 AM...SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WERE RELEGATED TO THE 
EASTERN HALF OF KAUAI...THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS AND OLOMANA ON OAHU... 
THE SEA CLIFFS OF MOLOKAI...AND THE HANA COAST OF MAUI. THE REST OF 
THE SMALLER ISLANDS...INCLUDING ALL OF LANAI...WERE UNDER MOSTLY 
CLEAR SKIES. ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN CLOUDS COVERED MOST OF THE 
HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS...AND CLEAR SKIES WERE SEEN ELSEWHERE OVER 
THE ISLAND. 

LOW CLOUDS WERE SCATTERED TO BROKEN OVER COASTAL WATERS NORTHEAST OF 
MAUI COUNTY...AND OVER WATERS SURROUNDING THE BIG ISLAND. SKIES OVER 
WATERS SURROUNDING THE REMAINING ISLANDS WERE CLEAR OR HAD SCATTERED 
CLOUDS. CLOUD TOPS...EXCEPT FOR THE PATCHY CIRRUS MENTIONED BELOW... 
RANGED FROM 7000 TO 10000 FEET. THE CLOUDS OVER WATER WERE MOVING TO 
THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 MPH...WHILE THOSE OVER LAND WERE ANCHORED 
TO THE MOUNTAIN TERRAIN. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED TWO UPPER LEVEL LOWS CONNECTED BY A BROAD 
TROUGH. ONE LOW...THE LARGER OF THE TWO...WAS CENTERED WEST OF THE 
STATE NEAR 21N165W. IT WAS TRIGGERING SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS IN A 
STATIONARY AREA FROM 07N TO 24N BETWEEN 165W TO 180W. THUNDERSTORM 
TOPS RAN FROM 40000 TO 50000 FEET. A SECOND SMALLER LOW WAS CENTERED 
NORTH OF THE BIG ISLAND NEAR 27N154W. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH 
TOPS TO 35000 FEET WERE WITHIN 120 MILES OF THE LOW. AN UPPER LEVEL 
TROUGH EXTENDING NORTHEAST AND SOUTHWEST OF THE LOWS WAS CARRYING 
PATCHY HIGH CLOUDS UP OVER THE STATE FROM THE SOUTHWEST. THE CIRRUS 
CLOUDS WERE UP NEAR 25000 FEET.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.