Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 20:04:34 -0500

951 
ATHW40 PHFO 180104
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON OCT 18 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 18 2010

AS OF 2 PM...THE SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS THAT WERE OVER THE 
EASTERN HALF OF KAUAI WERE RELEGATED TO THE SOUTHWESTERN THIRD. THE 
BROKEN CLOUDS THAT WERE ONLY OVER THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS AND OLOMANA 
ON OAHU THIS MORNIG HAVE BEEN JOINED BY BROKEN CLOUDS OVER THE 
WAIANAE MOUNTAINS. AS FOR MAUI COUNTY...ALMOST ALL OF THE CLOUDS 
WERE COLLECTED OVER HIGHER TERRAIN. ELSEWHERE OVER THE SMALLER 
ISLANDS...SKIES WERE MOSTLY CLEAR. 

THE BIG ISLAND...AS IS USUAL FOR THIS TIME OF THE DAY...SAT UNDER 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS. THE EXCEPTIONS WHERE THERE WERE CLEAR 
SKIES WERE OVER AND NEAR UPOLU POINT...OVER THE KAU DESERT...OVER 
THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA...AND DOWN THE SPINE OF THE 
SOUTHWEST RIFT ZONE.

AS WAS THE CASE THIS MORNING...LOW CLOUDS WERE BROKEN OVER WATERS 
EAST OF MAUI...AND BROKEN TO OVERCAST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. 
OVERALL...THERE ARE FAR FEWER CLOUDS OUT THERE THAN AT 8 AM THIS 
MORNING. AS FOR TOPS...MOST OF THE LOW CLOUDS WERE AT OR BELOW 8000 
FEET. AS FOR MOVEMENT...THE CLOUDS OVER WATER WERE MOVING TO THE 
WEST SOUTHWEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH...WHILE THOSE OVER LAND WERE STILL 
ANCHORED TO THE MOUNTAIN TERRAIN. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED THAT THERE HAS BEEN LITTLE CHANGE SINCE 
THIS MORNING. TWO UPPER LEVEL LOWS...ONE CENTERED WEST OF THE 
STATE NEAR 21N165W...AND ONE CENTERED NORTH OF THE STATE NEAR 
28N153W CONTINUED TO FIRE OFF THUNDERSTORMS. THE LOW TO THE WEST 
HAD THE MOST THUNDERSTORMS IN A LARGE AREA BOUNDED BY 07N AND 23N 
BETWEEN 165W AND 180W. THESE CLOUDS WERE ALSO THE TALLEST... 
REACHING UP TO NEAR 45000 FEET. THE LOW TO THE NORTH WAS FAR 
PUNIER...WITH ONLY A FEW SMALL THUNDERSTORMS NEAR ITS CENTER. AN 
UPPER LEVEL TROUGH EXTENDING NORTHEAST AND SOUTHWEST OF THE LOWS 
CONTINUED TO CARRY PATCHY HIGH CLOUDS UP OVER THE STATE FROM THE 
SOUTHWEST. THE CIRRUS  CLOUDS WERE UP NEAR 25000 FEET.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.