Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:34:33 -0500

271 
ATHW40 PHFO 181834
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC MON OCT 18 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 18 2010

THERE HAS BEEN LITTLE CHANGE IN CLOUD COVER AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS SINCE LATE LAST NIGHT. SKIES REMAIN MOSTLY CLEAR OVER THE 
ISLANDS FROM NIIHAU TO MAUI...WITH ONLY A SMALL PATCHES OF BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD KAUAI AND OVER EAST MAUI NEAR HANA. RADARS 
SHOW LITTLE OR NO PRECIPITATION SKIES ARE CLEAR OVER MOST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND OF HAWAII ALSO...BUT THERE ARE SHOWERY OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
ALONG THE COAST AND LOWER SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM LAUPAHOEHOE 
TO CAPE KUMUKAHI TO APUA POINT...AND STABLE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS OVER THE KONA COAST FROM KAILUA-KONA TO KEAHOLE POINT. THERE 
ARE ALSO THIN BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS OVER THE BIG ISLAND.

LOW CLOUDS AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM SLIGHTLY 
SOUTH OF EAST AT 15 MPH. THERE ARE ONLY ISOLATED LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM 
OF THE ISLANDS FROM KAUAI TO MAUI. THE CLOUDS OVER THE EAST SIDE OF 
THE BIG ISLAND ARE PART OF A CLOUD AREA THAT EXTENDS 50 MILES 
NORTHEAST AND 80 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE ISLAND.

A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND LINES NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 35N152W TO 500 
MILES NORTH OF KAUAI TO 31N180W. THE PART OF THE BAND EAST OF 164W 
CONTAINS DEEP OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS 
CLOUDS...CB...WITH TOPS TO 35000 FT. THE PART OF THE BAND WEST OF 
164W CONTAINS BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW AND MIDDLE CLOUDS. THE PART OF 
THE BAND NORTH OF THE ISLANDS HAS MOVED SOUTH SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH 
OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A LOW ALOFT ABOUT 900 MILES NORTHEAST OF HILO NEAR 39N148W 
WITH A TROUGH FROM THE LOW TO 100 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI TO 
21N180W. THE TROUGH HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH 
OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS.

A 300 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS AND ISOLATED 
CB IS CENTERED FROM 300 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILO TO 13N138W. THE 
BAND HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE WEST AT 10 MPH AND THE CB HAVE 
BECOME MORE ACTIVE OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS...POSSIBLY RELATED TO THE 
DIGGING TROUGH DESCRIBED ABOVE.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.