Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 19:25:13 -0500

495 
ATHW40 PHFO 190025
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC TUE OCT 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 19 2010

CLOUD COVER HAS INCREASED CONSIDERABLY OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS SINCE LATE LAST NIGHT...ESPECIALLY OVER THE BIG ISLAND OF 
HAWAII.

OVERCAST CLOUDS COVER MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THESE CLOUDS EXTEND 
UPSLOPE ALMOST TO THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA. CLOUDS 
REMAIN SCATTERED OVER THE SUMMITS OF THE TWO BIG VOLCANOES AND NEAR 
CAPE KUMUKAHI...NEAR SOUTH POINT AND ALONG THE COAST AND LOWER 
SLOPES FROM KIHOLO TO UPOLU POINT. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS ALSO 
COVER MOST OF EAST MAUI WITH SCATTERED CLOUDS ALONG THE COAST. 
CLOUDS REMAIN SCATTERED OVER MOST AREAS OF THE ISLANDS FROM CENTRAL 
MAUI TO NIIHAU BUT THERE ARE PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER MAUKA 
AREAS OF WEST MAUI...LANAI...MOLOKAI AND OAHU...AND OVER THE WEST 
SLOPES OF KAUAI AND NIIHAU.

CLOUDS ARE VERY ISOLATED OVER WATER AROUND THE ISLANDS. LOW CLOUDS 
NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM SLIGHTLY SOUTH OF EAST AT 10 MPH. 

AN AREA OF SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS AND EMBEDDED 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...CB...IS SOUTH AND EAST OF A LINE FROM 23N140W 
TO 26N144W TO 125 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND TO 14N160W. THE 
CLOSEST CB ARE ABOUT 220 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THIS 
CLOUD AREA HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE WEST AT 10 MPH.

A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND LINES NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 36N150W TO 
32N160W TO 30.5N170W TO 31N180W. THE FRONTAL BAND IS 150 MILES WIDE 
AND CONTAINS SHOWERY OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS AND SCATTERED TOWERING 
CUMULUS CLOUDS..TCU. THE PART OF THE BAND BETWEEN 160W AND 170W HAS 
MOVED SOUTH SLOWLY SINCE THIS MORNING WHILE THE PART WEST OF 170W 
HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY. A PREFRONTAL CONVERGENCE BAND IS 
CENTERED FROM 32N155W...WHERE IT MERGES WITH THE FRONTAL BAND...TO 
27N170W. THE PART OF THE BAND EAST OF 165W IS 150 MILES WIDE AND 
CONTAINS DEEP OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS 
CLOUDS...CB...WITH TOPS TO 35000 FT. THE PART OF THE BAND WEST OF 
165W CONTAINS SHOWERY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS. THE PART OF THE CONVERGENCE 
BAND NORTH OF THE ISLANDS HAS MOVED SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH OVER THE 
PAST 6 HOURS.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A TROUGH ALOFT FROM 30N145W TO JUST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI TO 
20N180W. THE TROUGH HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH 
OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.