Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 00:36:08 -0500

580 
ATHW40 PHFO 190535
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE OCT 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 19 2010

BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS COVERED THE KAUAI MOLOKAI LANAI AND MAUI 
MOUNTAINS...AND THE LENGTH OF THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS SOUTHWARD OVER 
HONOLULU AND PEARL HARBOR. THE GREATEST CONCENTRATION ON CLOUDS WAS 
OVER THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS WHERE CLOUDS TOPPING OFF AT 14000 FEET 
WERE DUMPING HEAVY RAIN. CLOUD TOPS ELSEWHERE OVER THE SMALLER 
ISLANDS WERE FROM 7500 TO 8500 FEET. ALL OF THE CLOUDS WERE NEARLY 
STATIONARY. SKIES WERE CLEAR OR THERE WERE SCATTERED CLOUDS 
ELSEWHERE OVER THE SMALLER ISLANDS. 

THE BIG ISLAND WAS COVERED WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS...AS WERE 
THE COASTAL WATERS EAST AND WEST OF THE ISLAND. OVER THE LAST 
HOUR...THERE WERE SIGNS THAT THE CLOUDS WERE ON THE DECREASE WHICH 
IS TO BE EXPECTED AT THIS TIME OF THE DAY. THE NEARLY STATIONARY 
CLOUDS APPEARED TO BE LAYERED WITH TOPS NEAR 8000 AND 16000 FEET.

CLOUDS WERE ISOLATED OVER WATER SOUTH OF THE ISLANDS AND SCATTERED 
OVER WATERS NORTH THE ISLANDS. CLOUD TOPS WERE NEAR 5000 FEET AND 
CLOUD MOVEMENT WAS SLIGHTLY SOUTH OF EAST AT 10 MPH. 

AN AREA OF SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS AND EMBEDDED 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...CB...WAS SOUTH AND EAST OF A LINE FROM 24N145W 
TO 26N144W TO 125 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND TO 15N160W. THE 
CLOSEST CB WERE ABOUT 230 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. CB TOPS 
WERE TO 45000 FEET. THE CLOUD AREA HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE WEST 
AT 10 MPH.

NORTH AND NORTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS ALONG A LINE FROM 30N157W TO 
28N160W TO 26N169W WAS AN EASTWARD MOVING COLD FRONT. THE FRONT 
CONSISTED OF A 120 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST TOWERING 
CUMULUS...TCU...AND ISOLATED CB. CB TOPS WERE NEAR 35000 FT.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH DETECTS MOISTURE ABOVE 24000 FT...SHOWED 
A TROUGH ALOFT FROM 30N145W TO JUST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI TO 20N180W. 
THE TROUGH WAS MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.