Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 07:39:55 -0500

729 
ATHW40 PHFO 191239
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE OCT 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC OCTOBER 19 2010

BROKEN TO OVERCAST MIDDLE CLOUDS WITH TOPS NEAR 14000 FEET LINGERED 
OVER OAHU. THESE CLOUDS WERE LEFTOVER FROM YESTERDAY EVENING/S HEAVY 
SHOWERS OVER THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS. FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS WITH 
TOPS RANGING FROM 5000 TO 8000 FEET WERE DETECTED OVER THE REMAINING 
SMALLER ISLANDS.

ALMOST ALL OF THE CLOUDS THAT BLANKETED THE BIG ISLAND YESTERDAY 
EVENING HAVE VANISHED. THE COASTAL WATERS EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
HAVE BROKEN SHOWER-BEARING LOW CLOUDS HOWEVER...THAT WERE MOVING 
SLOWLY TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST IN LIGHT TRADE WINDS. THERE WERE EVEN 
SEVERAL CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...CB...ALONG A LINE FROM ABOUT 100 
MILES NORTHEAST TO 50 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. LOW CLOUD 
TOPS WERE NEAR 9000 FEET WHILE CB TOPS WERE NEAR 40000 FEET. THE CB 
WERE ALSO MOVING WEST SOUTHWEST AT 10 MPH.

THE CB MENTIONED ABOVE WERE ALONG THE NORTHWESTERN EDGE OF A LARGE 
AREA OF ISOLATED CB LOCATED SOUTH AND EAST OF A LINE FROM 26N146W TO 
50 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND TO 14N162W. THERE WERE SEVERAL 
LARGE CB IN THE AREA WITH TOPS IN EXCESS OF 55000 FEET FROM 600 TO 
800 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.

NORTH AND NORTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS ALONG A LINE FROM 30N156W TO 
28N160W TO 26N169W WAS AN EASTWARD MOVING COLD FRONT. THE FRONT 
CONSISTED OF A 100 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CUMULUS... 
CU...AND TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS...TCU. THERE WERE ALSO SEVERAL 
SMALL CB WITH TOPS NEAR 30000 FEET ALONG THE FRONT NORTHEAST OF 
28N160W.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH DISPLAYS MOISTURE ABOVE 24000 FT...
SHOWED A TROUGH ALOFT FROM 30N143W TO OVER MAUI TO 20N170W. THE 
TROUGH WAS MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH. DIVERGENT FLOW ALOFT 
SOUTHEAST OF THE TROUGH WAS PROBABLY AIDING AND ABETTING THE CB 
DEVELOPMENT SOUTHEAST OF THE STATE.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.