Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:00:42 -0500

372 
ATHW40 PHFO 191900
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE OCT 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 19 2010

CLOUD COVER AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HAS CHANGED LITTLE 
SINCE LATE LAST NIGHT. SKIES REMAIN MOSTLY CLEAR OVER THE ISLANDS 
FROM NIIHAU TO MAUI. SKIES ARE CLEAR OVER THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII 
EXCEPT FOR BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE SLOPES FROM HILO TOWN TO 
KILAUEA.

A NEARLY STATIONARY 20 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND 
SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS...TCU...LIES JUST OFF THE 
NORTHEAST COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THERE ARE BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER 
WATER OVER THE EAST SIDE OF THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL AND JUST EAST OF 
MAUI. OTHERWISE...SKIES ARE NEARLY CLEAR OVER WATER CLOSE TO THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

THERE ARE NOT VERY MANY LOW CLOUDS AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
WEST OF MAUI TO FOLLOW ON OUR SATELLITE LOOPS TO GET CLOUD 
MOTIONS...BUT AS BEST I CAN TELL THE CLOUDS AROUND THE ISLANDS FROM 
MOLOKAI TO NIIHAU ARE MOVING FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AT AROUND 10 
MPH.

A 125 MILE WIDE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND LIES NORTH OF A LINE FROM 35N150W 
TO 370 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI TO 30N177W TO 29.5N180W. THE PART OF THE 
BAND NORTHEAST OF 28N154W CONTAINS DEEP OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND 
SCATTERED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...CB...WITH TOPS TO 46000 FT. THE PART 
OF THE BAND FROM 154W TO 159W CONTAINS BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS AND 
ISOLATED CB WITH TOPS TO 30000 FT. THE PART OF THE BAND WEST OF 150W 
CONTAINS SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS. OVER THE PAST 12 
HOURS THE PART OF THE FRONTAL BAND EAST OF 165W HAS BEEN MOVING 
TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST AT 10 MPH WHILE THE PART WEST OF 165W HAS BEEN 
NEARLY STATIONARY. A 70 MILE WIDE PREFRONTAL CONVERGENCE BAND IS 
CENTERED FROM 25N170W TO 25N166W TO 26N163W TO 28N158W WHERE IT 
MERGES WITH THE FRONTAL BAND. THE PREFRONTAL BAND CONTAINS MAINLY 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WITH A COUPLE OF CB ALONG THE SOUTH EDGE OF THE 
BAND NEAR 162W. THE SHEAR LINE HAS BEEN MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 10 MPH.

A 450 MILE WIDE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND 
ISOLATED EMBEDDED CB IS SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM 27N147W TO 435 
MILES EAST SOUTHEAST OF HILO TO 10N156W. OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS 
THIS AREA HAS SHIFTED EAST SLOWLY AND THE CB HAVE WEAKENED.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A TROUGH ALOFT FROM 25N149W OVER THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL TO 
20N170W TO 21N180W. THE PART OF THE TROUGH NEAR THE ISLANDS HAS BEEN 
MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST AT 10 MPH. ANOTHER TROUGH ALOFT IS 
CENTERED FROM 30N154W TO 26N160W. THE SECOND TROUGH HAS BEEN MOVING 
TOWARD THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.