Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 19:44:08 -0500

216 
ATHW40 PHFO 200044
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED OCT 20 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 20 2010

THERE HAS BEEN A BIG INCREASE IN CLOUD COVER OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS SINCE THIS MORNING.

OVERCAST CLOUDS COVER MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND...EXTENDING UPSLOPE 
NEAR THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA. CLOUDS REMAIN SCATTERED 
ONLY ALONG THE COAST AND LOWER SLOPES FROM KEAHOLE POINT TO UPOLU 
POINT.RADARS HAVE BEEN SHOWING LOCALLY HEAVY SHOWERS OVER THE 
SOUTHEAST SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND BETWEEN VOLCANO AND PAHALA. 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS ALSO COVER MOST OF EAST MAUI. RADARS SHOW 
ISOLATED HEAVY SHOWERS NEAR MAKENA. THE WEATHER IS LES ACTIVE FROM 
KAHULUI NORTHWESTWARD. CLOUDS REMAIN SCATTERED OVER MOST AREAS FROM 
CENTRAL MAUI TO KAUAI BUT THERE ARE PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER 
THE NORTHEAST SLOPES OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...OVER THE SOUTH 
SLOPES OF LANAI...OVER THE MOUNTAINS OF EAST MOLOKAI...OVER BOTH THE 
KOOLAU AND WAIANAE MOUNTAINS OF OAHU AND OVER THE SOUTHWEST SLOPES 
OF KAUAI. CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER NIIHAU.

LOW CLOUDS AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE 
NORTHEAST AROUND 10 MPH...FROM A MORE NORTHERLY DIRECTION THAN THE 
TYPICAL TRADE-WIND FLOW. CLOUDS ARE VERY ISOLATED OVER WATER AROUND 
THE ISLANDS FROM NIIAHU TO LANAI. A 35 MILE WIDE LINE OF BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS EXTENDS 335 MILES NORTHEAST FROM OVER EAST MAUI. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS EXTEND 90 NM NE OF THE BIG ISLAND. ISOLATED 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...CB...HAVE BEEN POPPING UP JUST OFFSHORE OF 
WINDWARD HAWAII.

A 50 TO 150 MILE WIDE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND LIES NORTH OF A LINE FROM 
28.5N150W TO 225 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI TO 25N165W TO 30N177W. THE 
PART OF THE BAND NORTHEAST OF 28N154W CONTAINS DEEP OVERCAST LAYERED 
CLOUDS AND ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...CB...WITH TOPS TO 35000 
FT. THE CB HAVE BECOME LESS ACTIVE THAN THEY WERE THIS MORNING. THE 
PART OF THE BAND WEST OF 154W CONTAINS SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS. OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS THE PART OF THE FRONTAL BAND EAST 
OF 165W HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST AT 10 MPH WHILE THE 
PART WEST OF 165W HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY. A SERIES OF SMALL 
VORTICES HAS FORMED ALONG THE BAND SINCE THIS MORNING AND THE BAND 
IS STARTING TO FRAGMENT. ONE VORTEX IS NEAR 30N152W...ONE IS ABOUT 
300 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI NEAR 26N159W...AND ONE IS NEAR 31N180W.

A 500 MILE WIDE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND 
ISOLATED EMBEDDED CB IS SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM 30N149W...400 MILES 
EAST OF HILO TO 10N155W. MOST OF THE CB ARE SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM 
10N150W TO 15N145W. OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS THIS AREA HAS 
SHIFTED EAST SLOWLY. IN THE PAST FEW HOURS THE CB NORTH OF 15N HAVE 
DECREASED...WHILE THOSE SOUTH OF 15N HAVE INTENSIFIED.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A TROUGH ALOFT FROM 25N146W OVER THE BIG ISLAND TO 19N160W TO 
19N180W. THE PART OF THE TROUGH NEAR THE ISLANDS HAS BEEN MOVING 
TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST AT 10 MPH. ANOTHER TROUGH ALOFT IS CENTERED 
FROM 30N152W TO 25N156W. THE SECOND TROUGH HAS BEEN MOVING 
TOWARD THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.