Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 00:34:33 -0500

044 
ATHW40 PHFO 200534
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED OCT 20 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 20 2010

EXCEPT FOR SCATTERED CLOUDS OVER HIGHER TERRAIN...KAUAI OAHU MOLOKAI 
SAT UNDER CLEAR SKIES. ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS WERE ALSO CLEAR WITH 
SCATTERED CLOUDS HERE AND THERE. THE FEW CLOUDS AROUND HAD TOPS NEAR 
3000 FEET...AND WERE MOVING TO THE SOUTHWEST AT AROUND 10 MPH.

OVERCAST CLOUDS BLANKETED THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...WITH BROKEN 
CLOUDS DRIFTING OVER LEEWARD SECTIONS NEAR LAHAINA. THE NORTHEAST 
FACING SLOPES OF MOUNT HALEAKALA WERE ALSO COVERED WITH OVERCAST 
CLOUDS THAT EXTENDED OFFSHORE TO THE NORTH SOME 25 MILES. CLOUD TOPS 
WERE UP TO 13000 FEET. EXCEPT FOR A SMALL AREA OF BROKEN CLOUDS OVER 
ULUPALAKUA...THE REST OF MAUI WAS MOSTLY CLEAR.

EXCEPT FOR SCATTERED CLOUDS OVER THE LEEWARD SLOPES OF THE KOHALA 
MOUNTAINS...THE BIG ISLAND WAS COVERED BY OVERCAST CLOUDS. BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST CLOUDS EXTENDED ABOUT 100 MILES NORTHEAST AND 50 MILES 
SOUTHEAST OF THE ISLAND. NUMEROUS SHOWERS WERE FALLING OUT OF THE 
CLOUDS OVER THE OCEAN...AND SCATTERED SHOWERS WERE FALLING ON LOWER 
ELEVATIONS OF THE ISLAND ITSELF. AN EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORM...CB...WAS 
LOCATED ABOUT 23 MILES NORTHEAST OF HILO. CLOUD TOPS VARIED FROM 
13000 FEET FOR THE LOW CLOUDS TO 38000 FEET FOR THE CB. THE CLOUDS 
OVER AND NEAR MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND WERE NEARLY STATIONARY.

FURTHER AFIELD...SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS...TCU...AND CB WERE 
LOCATED SOUTH AND EAST OF A LINE FROM 17N180W TO 15N160W TO 16N150W 
THEN UP TO 23N148W. THE BIGGEST CB WERE LOCATED FROM 10N TO 11N 
BETWEEN 140W AND 148W. CB TOPS HERE WERE NEAR 51000 FEET.

TO THE NORTH...AN ERRATIC 60 MILE WIDE LINE OF BROKEN CUMULUS... 
CU...AND ISOLATED TCU RAN FROM 26N152W TO 25N163W TO 29N170W. THE 
LINE... WHICH WAS THE REMAINS OF AN OLD COLD FRONT...WAS DRIFTING TO 
THE SOUTH.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH LOOKS AT FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 
FT...SHOWED A TROUGH ALOFT FROM 25N145W TO OVER THE BIG ISLAND TO 
18N160W AND 18N180W. THE TROUGH WAS PROBABLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE 
UNSTABLE AIRMASS AND THE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS EAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND. ANOTHER TROUGH ALOFT CENTERED FROM 30N149W TO 24N155W WAS 
MOVING TO THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.