Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 07:28:28 -0500

990 
ATHW40 PHFO 201228
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED OCT 20 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC OCTOBER 20 2010

EXCEPT FOR PATCHY HIGH CLOUDS DROPPING DOWN FROM THE NORTHWEST... 
SKIES OVER THE SMALLER ISLANDS WERE MOSTLY CLEAR. THE WINDWARD SIDE 
OF KAUAI NEAR LIHUE AND THE HANA COAST WERE THE ONLY PLACES WHERE 
THERE WERE SCATTERED TO BROKEN CLOUDS. EXCEPT FOR BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
EAST OF MAUI...WATERS SURROUNDING THE ISLANDS WERE CLEAR AS WELL. 
CLOUD TOPS WERE FOR THE MOST PART UP TO 4000 FEET.

THE OVERCAST CLOUDS THAT BLANKETED THE BIG ISLAND SIX HOURS AGO 
WERE SLOWLY DISSIPATING WHILE ROLLING OFFSHORE IN LAND BREEZES. MOST 
OF THE ISLAND SAT UNDER BROKEN BUT STEADILY DECREASING CLOUDS. CLOUD 
TOPS WERE UP TO 12000 FEET. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS...CB...PERSISTED 
OVER THE COASTAL WATERS EAST OF HILO. CB TOPS WERE NEAR 38000 FEET.

SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS...TCU...AND CB WERE LOCATED SOUTH AND 
EAST OF A LINE THAT STRETCHED FROM 16N180W TO 15N160W TO 260 MILES 
EAST OF HILO AT 20N151W...THEN TO 30N142W. THE BIGGEST CB WAS FAR 
SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AT 11N144W. THE TOP OF THIS CB WAS NEAR 
55000 FEET. THE REST OF THE CB HAD TOPS BELOW 40000 FEET.

TO THE NORTH...A 60 MILE WIDE LINE OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WAS 
STATIONARY ALONG A LINE FROM 30N146W TO 24N160W TO 27N169W. THESE 
CLOUDS WERE THE REMNANTS OF AN OLD COLD FRONT.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH LOOKS AT FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 
FT...SHOWED A TROUGH ALOFT IN AN ARC FROM 30N144W TO OVER THE BIG 
ISLAND TO 17N165W AND 17N180W. THE UNSTABLE AIRMASS ACCOMPANYING THE 
TROUGH WAS SETTING OFF THE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS EAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND. 

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.