Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 00:11:49 -0500

125 
ATHW40 PHFO 210511
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU OCT 21 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 21 2010

SINCE MID-AFTERNOON CLOUD COVER HAS DECREASED OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS AND CLOUD TOPS HAVE WARMED NEAR THE BIG ISLAND.

BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH...CIRRUS...CLOUDS COVER THE CENTRAL PART OF 
THE BIG ISLAND OBSCURING LOWER LEVEL FEATURES. THE CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE 
THE TOPS OF CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS THAT HAVE COLLAPSED OVER THE PAST 
COUPLE OF HOURS. PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER MOST OF THE PARTS OF 
THE BIG ISLAND NOT OBSCURED BY THE CIRRUS BUT CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED 
NEAR CAPE KUMUKAHI AND ALONG THE LEEWARD COAST. RADARS SHOW LITTLE 
PRECIPITATION REMAINING ON THE BIG ISLAND...ONLY SCATTERED LIGHT 
SHOWERS ALONG THE WINDWARD COAST. THERE ARE PATCHY SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE SMALLER ISLANDS. RADARS SHOW LITTLE 
PRECIPITATION AROUND THE SMALLER ISLANDS EITHER...ONLY ISOLATED 
LIGHT SHOWERS ALONG THE WINDWARD MAUI COAST FROM HANA TO PAUWELA.

SOME BROKEN LOW CLOUDS THAT DEVELOPED OVER THE ISLANDS DURING THE 
AFTERNOON HAVE SPREAD OFFSHORE TO THE WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND... 
MAUI...AND OAHU. OTHERWISE THERE ARE VERY FEW LOW CLOUDS OVER THE 
COASTAL WATERS.

A BAND OF SHOWERY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS...THE REMNANT OF A FRONTAL 
BAND...IS NORTH OF A LINE FROM 28N144W TO 25N154W...360 MILES NORTH 
NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...TO 25N160W...200 MILES NORTH OF 
KAUAI...TO 23N165W...TO 27N169.5W. THE BAND HAS REMAINED NEARLY 
STATIONARY OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A TROUGH ALOFT FROM 28N140W...TO JUST SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND...TO A LOW ALOFT NEAR 14N178W. THE PART OF THE TROUGH ALONG 
30N HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE EAST AT 20 MPH...WHILE THE PART NEAR 
THE ISLANDS HAS BEEN MOVING SOUTHEAST SLOWLY. A JET STREAM 
ASSOCIATED WITH THE TROUGH RUNS FROM 14N180W TO 13N176W TO 17N165W 
TO 17N165W...150 MILES SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND...TO 25N140W. THERE 
ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS CLOUDS SOUTHEAST OF THE JET. THERE IS 
ALSO AN AREA OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CIRRUS FROM 23N TO 27N BETWEEN 
152W AND 165W.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.