Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:25:36 -0500

044 
ATHW40 PHFO 211225
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU OCT 21 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC OCTOBER 21 2010

SINCE LAST EVENING CLOUD COVER HAS DECREASED OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS WHILE CLOUDS HAVE INCREASED OVER WATER AROUND THE ISLANDS.

CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER MOST AREAS OF THE ISLANDS FROM NIIHAU TO 
MAUI BUT THERE ARE BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD COAST AND 
KOOLAU MOUNTAINS OF OAHU AND THERE ARE SMALL BROKEN PATCHES OVER 
WINDWARD MAUI. A 10 MILE WIDE LINE OF SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS RUNS FROM 20 MILES NORTH OF HILO...OVER HILO...TO APUA POINT. 
THERE ARE ALSO SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALONG THE COAST 
AND LOWER SLOPES FROM MILOLII TO KAWAIHAE. RADARS SHOW SCATTERED 
LIGHT SHOWERS OVER WINDWARD OAHU AND THE WINDWARD SIDE OF THE BIG 
ISLAND AND SCATTERED MODERATE SHOWERS OVER LEEWARD KOHALA.

LOW CLOUDS OFF THE WINDWARD COASTS OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE 
MOVING FROM SLIGHTLY SOUTH OF EAST AT AROUND 10 MPH. CLOUDS ARE 
ISOLATED UPSTREAM OF THE ISLANDS EXCEPT FOR A 20 MILE DIAMETER PATCH 
OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS JUST OFF THE WINDWARD COAST OF OAHU.
AN AREA OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS EXTENDS 50 MILES WEST NORTHWEST FROM 
THE LEEWARD COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.

AN OLD FRONTAL NORTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HAS FRAGMENTED. 
ONE 220 MILE WIDE AREA OF OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS IS NORTH OF A LINE 
FROM 26.5N144W TO 26N150W...A 260 MILE WIDE AREA OF BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS IS NORTH OF A LINE FROM 25.5N152.5W TO 25.5N160W...AND A 250 
MILE WIDE AREA IS NORTH OF A LINE FROM 25N166W TO 25N170W. THESE 
CLOUD AREAS ARE NEARLY STATIONARY.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A TROUGH ALOFT FROM 26N140W...TO JUST SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND...TO 17N180W. THE PART OF THE TROUGH NEAR 140W HAS BEEN 
MOVING TOWARD THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH...WHILE THE PART NEAR 
THE ISLANDS HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY. A JET STREAM ASSOCIATED WITH 
THE TROUGH RUNS FROM 13N180W TO 19N165W TO JUST SOUTH OF THE BIG 
ISLAND TO 24N140W. THERE ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS CLOUDS 
SOUTHEAST OF THE JET.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.