Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 00:43:32 -0500

063 
ATHW40 PHFO 220543 CCA
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC FRI OCT 22 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 22 2010

CLOUD COVER OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HAS DECREASED SINCE 
MID-AFTERNOON AS CLOUDS PRODUCED BY AFTERNOON HEATING HAVE STARTED 
TO DISSIPATE.

CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER MOST AREAS FROM NIIHAU TO MAUI BUT THERE 
ARE SMALL PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS HERE AND THERE. RADARS SHOW 
SCATTERED MODERATE SHOWERS FORMING ALONG THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS OF 
OAHU BUT NO OTHER PRECIPITATION FROM NIIHAU TO MAUI. THERE ARE STILL 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER MOST LOWLAND AREAS OF THE BIG ISLAND OF 
HAWAII WITH CLEAR SKIES OVER THE UPPER SLOPES OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA 
LOA AND ONLY ISOLATED LOW CLOUDS NEAR CAPE KUMUKAHI AND SOUTH CAPE 
AND ALONG THE COAST OF LEEWARD KOHALA.

THERE ARE AREAS OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER WATER NORTH OF KAUAI... 
NORTHWEST THROUGH NORTHEAST OF OAHU...SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS OF 
MAUI COUNTY AND NORTH OF THE WINDWARD KOHALA DISTRICT AND WEST OF 
THE SOUTH KONA DISTRICT OF THE BIG ISLAND. CLOUDS MOTIONS NEAR THE 
ISLANDS ARE QUITE VARIABLE. LOW CLOUDS EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE 
MOVING FROM THE EAST AROUND 10 MPH. IT APPEARS THAT THE FLOW 
DIVERGES AROUND THE ISLANDS WITH THE FLOW FROM THE EAST SOUTHEAST 
OFF THE WINDWARD SIDES OF THE ISLANDS AND FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST IN 
THE AREA SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.

SOME REMNANTS OF AN OLD FRONTAL BAND REMAIN NORTH OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THESE AREAS OF LOW CLOUDS HAVE STRETCHED OUT FROM 
WEST SOUTHWEST TO EAST NORTHEAST AHEAD OF A NEWER FRONTAL BAND 590 
MILES NORTH NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. ONE FRAGMENT OF THE OLD FRONT RUNS 
FROM 26N145W TO 30N144W AND ANOTHER RUNS FROM 27N158W TO 30N150W. 
THESE FRAGMENTS ARE 100 TO 150 MILE WIDE BANDS OF SHOWERY BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A TROUGH ALOFT FROM 25N140W...OVER THE BIG 
ISLAND TO A LOW ALOFT NEAR 13N179E. THE PART OF THE TROUGH EAST OF 
150W HAS BEEN MOVING SOUTHEAST SLOWLY WHILE THE REST OF THE TROUGH 
HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY. A JET STREAM ASSOCIATED WITH THE TROUGH 
RUNS FROM 16N180W TO 17N175W TO 60 MILES SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND TO 
23N140W. THERE ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS CLOUDS SOUTHEAST OF THE 
JET. THERE IS ALSO AN AREA OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CIRRUS NORTH OF 
25N EAST OF 170W.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.