Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 07:34:48 -0500

098 
ATHW40 PHFO 221234
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC FRI OCT 22 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC OCTOBER 22 2010

SINCE LAST EVENING CLOUDS HAVE DECREASED OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS BUT INCREASED OVER WATER AROUND THE ISLANDS.

CLOUDS HAVE BECOME ISOLATED OVER MOST AREAS FROM NIIHAU TO MAUI BUT 
THERE ARE SMALL PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD 
SLOPES. RADARS SHOW ONLY ISOLATED LIGHT SHOWERS OVER WINDWARD AREAS 
EXCEPT FOR A FEW MODERATE SHOWERS OVER WINDWARD EAST MAUI. SKIES ARE 
CLEAR OVER MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII WITH PATCHY SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALONG THE WINDWARD COAST FROM PEPEEKEO TO JUST 
SOUTH OF HILO TOWN AND FROM KEAHOLE POINT TO UPOLU POINT.

LOW CLOUDS EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE MOVING FROM SLIGHTLY NORTH OF  
EAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. THE LOW LEVEL FLOW VEERS TO EAST SOUTHEAST 
OFF THE WINDWARD SIDES OF THE ISLANDS FROM THE BIG ISLAND TO 
MOLOKAI...THEN BACKS TO EAST NORTHEAST AT 10 MPH AROUND OAHU AND 
KAUAI. LOW LEVEL FLOW SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND CONTINUES FROM 
SLIGHTLY NORTH OF EAST AT 15 MPH. LOW CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED NORTHEAST 
OF THE ISLANDS FROM THE BIG ISLAND TO OAHU. THERE ARE SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE COASTAL WATERS SOUTHWEST OF LANAI... 
SOUTHWEST OF OAHU AND SOUTH OF KAUAI AND OVER THE KAUAI CHANNEL. 
RADARS SHOW SCATTERED MODERATE SHOWERS FALLING FROM THESE LINES.

SOME REMNANTS OF AN OLD FRONTAL BAND REMAIN NORTH OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...NORTH OF 25N BETWEEN 140W AND 158W. THESE AREAS 
OF LOW CLOUDS HAVE BECOME A SERIES OF POORLY DEFINED BANDS THAT HAVE 
STRETCHED OUT FROM WEST SOUTHWEST TO EAST NORTHEAST AHEAD OF A NEWER 
FRONTAL BAND. FEATURES NORTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE 
PARTLY OBSCURED BY SCATTERED TO BROKEN HIGH...CIRRUS...CLOUDS.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A TROUGH ALOFT FROM 25N140W...OVER THE BIG 
ISLAND TO 15N180E. THE TROUGH HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY FOR THE 
PAST SEVERAL HOURS. A JET STREAM ASSOCIATED WITH THE TROUGH 
RUNS FROM 18N180W TO 19N175W TO 18N160W TO 23N140W. THERE ARE 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS CLOUDS SOUTHEAST OF THE JET.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.