Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 13:26:54 -0500

261 
ATHW40 PHFO 241826
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN OCT 24 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 24 2010

LOW CLOUDS WERE SCATTERED TO BROKEN OVER EAST FACING MOUNTAIN SLOPES 
OF KAUAI...THE LENGTH OF THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS,,,THE SEA CLIFFS OF 
MOLOKAI...THE EASTERN HALF OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...AND ALONG 
THE COAST FROM HANA SOUTHWARD. THE REST OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS HAD 
CLEAR SKIES. 

THE BIG ISLAND HAD THREE SPOTS WITH BROKEN CLOUDS...ALONG THE KONA 
COAST NEAR MILOLII...THE WINDWARD KOHALA MOUNTAINS...AND THE HILO 
AND PUNA DISTRICTS. THE REST OF THE ISLAND SAT UNDER CLEAR SKIES.

CLOUDS NORTH AND EAST OF THE ISLANDS WERE GATHERED INTO CLUSTERS 
SEPARATED BY CLEAR SKIES. THE CLUSTERS WERE EAST-NORTHEAST OF 
KAUAI...NORTH OF OAHU...NORTH OF MAUI...NORTH CLOCKWISE THROUGH 
SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND. SOME OF THE CLOUDS APPEARED TO BE 
DEPOSITING ISOLATED SHOWERS.

SKIES SOUTH AND WEST OF THE ISLANDS HAD A TOTALLY DIFFERENT 
APPEARANCE. INSTEAD OF CLUSTERS...BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS WERE 
ORGANIZED ALONG WIGGLY LINES. THE MOST NOTICEABLE LINES EXTENDED 
WEST OF THE SOUTH KONA COAST AND SOUTHWEST OF MAKENA MAUI. A MIX OF 
CLEAR SKIES AND SCATTERED CLOUDS WERE OBSERVED ELSEWHERE WITHIN 80 
MILES SOUTH AND WEST OF THE ISLANDS.

THE LOW CLOUDS WERE MOVING TO THE WEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH...WITH SPEEDS 
DECREASING MOVING FROM EAST TO WEST UP THE CHAIN. CLOUD TOPS RANGED 
FROM 5 TO 6 THOUSAND FEET.

ALOFT ABOVE 25 THOUSAND FEET...A WEAK LOW WAS CENTERED ABOUT 250 
MILES SOUTH OF HONOLULU NEAR 18N157W AND WAS MOVING WEST AT 15 MPH. 
THE LOW WAS SETTING OFF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN 120 MILES EAST 
AND WEST OF 13N158W. A SMALL CLUSTER OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS 
WAS ALSO EVIDENT NEAR 16.5N 163.5W...OR 500 MILES SOUTHWEST OF 
HONOLULU. ADDITIONALLY...HIGH CLOUDS WERE STREAKING NORTH AND 
NORTHEAST IN THE AREA EAST CLOCKWISE THROUGH SOUTH OF THE LOW. THE 
UPPER LOW HAD NO NOTICEABLE EFFECT ON THE LOW CLOUDS AROUND THE 
ISLANDS.

UNORGANIZED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WERE SCATTERED ALONG THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE IN AN AREA FROM 05N TO 10N BETWEEN 
140W AND 180W. THE TALLEST THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS ABOVE 50 THOUSAND 
FEET WERE LOCATED WEST OF 155W.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.