Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 19:38:23 -0500

726 
ATHW40 PHFO 250038
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON OCT 25 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 25 2010

AS OF 2 PM...THE SMALLER ISLANDS HAD SCATTERED OCCASIONAL BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS OVER HIGHER TERRAIN AND MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES ELSEWHERE. THE BIG 
ISLAND HAD BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE KONA SLOPES...THE WINDWARD 
SIDE OF THE KOHALA MOUNTAINS AND THE LOWER SLOPES OF THE HILO AND 
PUNA DISTRICTS. THE REST OF THE BIG ISLAND WAS PRACTICALLY FREE OF 
LOW CLOUDS. CLOUD TOPS WERE NEAR 6 THOUSAND FEET. CLOUD MOVEMENT WAS 
TOWARD THE WEST AT AROUND 20 MPH.

HIGH CLOUDS MOVING RAPIDLY TO THE NORTH...IN COMBINATION WITH THE 
LOW CLOUDS...MADE FOR OCCASIONAL CLOUDY SKIES OVER THE MAUI COUNTY 
ISLANDS AND THE BIG ISLAND. THE HIGH CLOUDS WERE BETWEEN 20 AND 26 
THOUSAND FEET...AND WERE BEING BLOWN OFF THE TOPS OF THUNDERSTORMS 
ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE...ITCZ...FAR SOUTHWEST OF 
HAWAII. 

AN INTERESTING FEATURE IN THE FORM OF A BROAD BAND OF LAYERED CLOUDS 
AND SCATTERED EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WAS LOCATED FAR NORTHWEST OF 
KAUAI. THE CLOUDS WERE NORTHWEST OF A NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST 
ORIENTED COLD FRONT EXTENDING THROUGH 30N175W AND 26N180W. THE FRONT 
AND THE CLOUD BAND WERE MOVING TO THE EAST AT 10 MPH.

ANOTHER INTERESTING FEATURE WAS A 250 MILE WIDE AREA OF BROKEN 
THUNDERSTORMS CENTERED AT 20N178W. THE THUNDERSTORMS WERE PROBABLY 
THE RESULT OF CONVERGENT LOW LEVEL SOUTHERLY FLOW SOUTHEAST OF THE 
COLD FRONT...AND DIVERGENT WESTERLY FLOW ALOFT. THE THUNDERSTORMS 
WERE STATIONARY WITH TOPS NEAR 45 THOUSAND FEET.

ALOFT...ABOVE 25 THOUSAND FEET...A LOW WAS DETECTED BY WATER VAPOR 
IMAGERY ABOUT 200 MILES SOUTH OF KAUAI NEAR 19N160W. THE LOW WAS 
MOVING TO THE WEST AT 25 MPH. COUNTERCLOCKWISE FLOW AROUND THE LOW 
WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR CARRYING THE HIGH CLOUDS FROM THE ITCZ TO OVER 
THE EASTERNMOST ISLANDS.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.