Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:31:46 -0500

930 
ATHW40 PHFO 261831
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE OCT 26 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 26 2010

BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS...CI...CONTINUE TO BLANKET THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THESE CLOUDS COMPLETELY OBSCURED LOWER LEVEL 
FEATURES ON NIGHTTIME INFRARED SATELLITE DATA...AND STILL PARTLY 
OBSCURE LOWER LEVEL FEATURES ON EARLY MORNING VISIBLE DATA. BASED 
ON RADAR...SURFACE OBSERVATIONS AND FROM WHAT CAN BE SEEN THROUGH 
GAPS IN THE CI...LOW CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
BUT THERE ARE BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD COAST FROM 
LAUPAHOEHOE TO CAPE KUMUKAHI AND THERE IS A SMALL PATCH OF BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS NEAR KEAHOLE POINT. SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
COVER WINDWARD AREAS OF THE ISLANDS FROM MAUI TO KAUAI AND BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS ARE OCCASIONALLY SPREADING LEEWARD OVER CENTRAL LANAI...
MOLOKAI...OAHU AND KAUAI. LOW CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER NIIHAU. THE 
LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE MOSTLY SHOWERY CUMULUS CLOUDS. 
RADARS SHOW SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS MODERATE SHOWERS OVER WINDWARD 
AREAS FROM MAUI TO KAUAI.

RADAR IMAGERY SHOWS THE SHOWERS NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE 
MOVING WEST AT 30 TO 35 MPH. CI OBSCURES THE AREA IMMEDIATELY 
UPSTREAM TO THE EAST OF THE ISLANDS BUT SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS BEYOND THE CI EXTENDING 
SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES UPSTREAM OF THE ISLANDS. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A LOW ALOFT 350 MILES WEST OF KAUAI AT 22N165W. OVER THE PAST 
12 HOURS THE LOW HAS MOVED NORTHWEST AT 15 MPH. A 550 MILE WIDE AREA 
OF BROKEN CI ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOW IS SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM 
13N165W TO 15N169W OVER NIIHAU TO 350 MILES NORTH OF NIIHAU. OVER 
THE PAST 12 HOURS THE CI AREA HAS REMAINED NEARLY STATIONARY AND THE 
CI HAS THINNED.

A 300 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND 
SCATTERED EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS IS WEST OF A LINE FROM 
30N173W TO 20N175W. THIS BAND...ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONT AND WITH A 
LOW AT 28N180W...HAS BEEN STATIONARY FOR THE PAST 12 HOURS. CB TOPS 
EXTEND UP TO 48000 FT.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.