Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:33:28 -0500

517 
ATHW40 PHFO 270033
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED OCT 27 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 27 2010

BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS...CI...CONTINUE TO BLANKET THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS BUT IT IS NOW A BIT EASIER TO SEE LOWER LEVEL 
FEATURES ON WELL-ILLUMINATED VISIBLE IMAGERY. BASED ON RADAR... 
SURFACE OBSERVATIONS AND FROM WHAT CAN BE SEEN THROUGH THE CI... 
THERE IS A PRETTY TYPICAL TRADE-WIND CLOUD PATTERN BELOW THE CI. 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE COAST AND LOWER SLOPES OF 
THE BIG ISLAND FROM UPOLU POINT TO VOLCANO AND FROM NAALEHU TO SOUTH 
POINT TO JUST ABOVE KAILUA-KONA. LOW CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED ABOVE ABOUT 
5500 FT OF ELEVATION. SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
COVER WINDWARD AREAS OF THE ISLANDS FROM MAUI TO KAUAI AND BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS ARE SPREADING LEEWARD OVER CENTRAL AREAS OF LANAI... 
MOLOKAI...OAHU AND KAUAI. LOW CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED OVER NIIHAU. THE 
LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE MOSTLY SHOWERY CUMULUS CLOUDS. 
RADARS SHOW SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS MODERATE SHOWERS OVER WINDWARD 
AREAS FROM MAUI TO KAUAI.

LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM SLIGHTLY 
NORTH OF EAST AT 30 TO 35 MPH. SCATTERED TO BROKEN SHOWERY LOW 
CLOUDS EXTEND SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES UPSTREAM OF THE ISLANDS. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A LOW ALOFT 360 MILES WEST OF KAUAI AT 23N165W. OVER THE PAST 
6 HOURS THE LOW HAS MOVED NORTHWEST SLOWLY. A 500 MILE WIDE AREA 
OF BROKEN CI ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOW IS EAST OF A LINE FROM 12N165W 
TO 14N160W TO 90 MILES SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND TO 25N163W. OVER 
THE PAST 6 HOURS THE CI AREA HAS REMAINED NEARLY STATIONARY AND THE 
CI HAS THINNED.

A 300 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND 
SCATTERED EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS IS WEST OF A LINE FROM 
30N175W TO 25N175W TO 20N177W. THIS BAND...ASSOCIATED WITH A 
FRONT...HAS MOVED WEST SLOWLY OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS. CB TOPS EXTEND 
UP TO 44000 FT.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.