Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:22:05 -0500

590 
ATHW40 PHFO 281821
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC THU OCT 28 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 28 2010

EAST TO WEST ORIENTED BANDS OF SHOWER-BEARING LOW CLOUDS ARE 
TRAVELLING WITHIN A STRONG TRADE WIND FLOW ACROSS MUCH OF THE 
CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC. THE TRADES ARE BEING GENERATED BY STRONG 
HIGH PRESSURE AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT ABOUT 900 MILES NORTH OF THE 
STATE.

A 125 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS STRETCHES FOR 1300 
MILES ALONG 19N164W AND 18N144W AND IS IMPACTING THE BIG ISLAND THIS 
MORNING. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER ALL WINDWARD SLOPES 
INCLUDING THE KAU DISTRICT...AND CLOUD TOPS RISE BETWEEN 12 TO 15 
KFT...HIGH ENOUGH TO REACH THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA 
AT TIMES. IN ADDITION...AN AREA OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS IS SITTING ON 
THE LOWER SLOPES OF THE SOUTH KONA DISTRICT. ABOUT 400 MILES WEST OF 
THE BIG ISLAND...ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 37 KFT ARE 
EMBEDDED WITHIN THE BAND. THE TRIGGER FOR THE THUNDERSTORMS IS AN 
ELONGATED UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 20N165W THAT IS DRIFTING WESTWARD.

ANOTHER...NARROW...50 MILE WIDE CLOUD BAND IS IMPACTING KAUAI AND IS 
SKIRTING JUST NORTH OF OAHU. THE CLOUD BAND EXTENDS 325 MILES EAST 
OF KAUAI...RESULTING IN BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS OVER THE 
EASTERN HALF OF THE GARDEN ISLE. A LESSER AMOUNT OF CLOUD COVER IS 
OBSERVED ACROSS MAUI COUNTY AND MOST OF OAHU...WHERE PATCHES OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE LIMITED TO WINDWARD SLOPES. INDIVIDUAL LOW 
CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 30 
MPH. 

ANOTHER...EXTENSIVE CLOUD BAND 115 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI MARKS A 
SHEAR LINE. THE 125 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN CUMULUS AND 
STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS OF THE COLD FRONT RUNS ALONG 26N140W TO 24N146W 
AND IS MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 10 MPH. THE CLOUD BAND CONTINUES 
TO THE WEST AS SHEAR LINE ALONG 24N146W TO 24N150W TO 26N163W THAT 
IS MOVING SOUTHWARD AT 10 MPH. THE FRONT IS BEING DRIVEN BY A SHARP 
UPPER LEVEL TROUGH ALONG 24N140W TO 22N148W THAT IS DIVING TO THE 
SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

TO THE SOUTH OF THE STATE...ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN THE ITCZ 
ARE CONFINED MAINLY SOUTH OF 10N...THOUGH SOME THUNDERSTORMS ARE 
NOTED BETWEEN 10N AND 11N BETWEEN 165W AND 155W.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.