Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 00:33:08 -0500

373 
ATHW40 PHFO 290532
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC FRI OCT 29 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC OCTOBER 29 2010

THE MOST SIGNIFICANT CLOUD FEATURE SEEN IN THE VICINITY OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS IS AN EAST TO WEST ORIENTED BAND OF SHOWERY LOOKING 
CLOUDS WHICH CAN BEST BE DESCRIBED AS THE DECAYING REMNANTS OF AN 
OLD COLD FRONT. THE SOUTHERN EDGE OF THIS CLOUD BAND IS NOW MOVING 
OVER NORTHERN AND EASTERN PORTIONS OF KAUAI AS WELL AS THE EXTREME 
NORTHERN TIP OF OAHU. THE BAND IS MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTH SOUTHWEST 
AT AROUND 15 MPH WHILE INDIVIDUAL CLOUDS ALONG THE BAND AND 
GENERALLY MOVING TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT AROUND 2O MPH. THE 
BAND IS ABOUT 180 MILES WIDE. CLOUD TOPS ARE GENERALLY RUNNING AT 
BETWEEN 7000 FEET AND 10000 FEET. 

AS FAR AS CLOUD COVERAGE OVER THE ISLANDS THEMSELVES...THE ABOVE 
MENTIONED BAND IS CAUSING MOSTLY CLOUDY SKIES OVER NORTHERN AND 
EASTERN SECTIONS OF KAUAI. OVER OAHU LOW CLOUDS ARE PRIMARILY BANKED 
UP OVER THE SLOPES AND SUMMITS OF THE KOOLAU RANGE. JUST A FEW 
PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN OVER EASTERN MOLOKAI WHILE LANAI WAS 
MOSTLY CLEAR. OVER MAUI LOW CLOUDS ARE BANKED UP OVER THE NORTHERN 
AND EASTERN SLOPES OF HALEAKALA AS WELL AS OVER THE SLOPES AND 
SUMMITS OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. OVER THE BIG ISLAND LOW CLOUDS 
ARE BANKED UP OVER THE WINDWARD SLOPES FROM NORTH KOHALA SOUTHWARD 
THROUGH THE HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS. PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS ARE ALSO 
PRESENT OVER PORTIONS OF THE KONA AND KAU SLOPES. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A BROAD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH CENTERED 
SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES TO THE WEST OF KAUAI. SOME HIGH CIRRUS CLOUDS 
ARE BEING DRAWN UP FROM THE SOUTH ON THE EAST SIDE OF THIS TROUGH. 
THE NORTHERN EXTENT OF THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE OCCASIONALLY MOVING 
OVER PORTIONS OF THE BIG ISLAND BUT THE VAST MAJORITY OF THEM REMAIN 
JUST TO THE SOUTH AND EAST OF THE STATE. THESE HIGH CLOUDS HAVE 
THERE ORIGINS FROM DEEP CONVECTION ALONG THE ITCZ WHICH IS BASICALLY 
CENTERED ALONG 10N.

$$

BURKE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.