Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:26:28 -0500

535 
ATHW40 PHFO 291226
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC FRI OCT 29 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC OCTOBER 29 2010

THE MOST SIGNIFICANT CLOUD FEATURE SEEN IN THE VICINITY OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS IS AN EAST TO WEST ORIENTED BAND OF SHOWERY LOOKING 
CLOUDS WHICH CAN BEST BE DESCRIBED AS THE DECAYING REMNANTS OF AN 
OLD COLD FRONT. THIS CLOUD BAND HAS BEEN MOVING INTO WINDWARD 
SECTIONS OF KAUAI AND OAHU OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS WITH THE 
SOUTHERN EDGE NOW BEGINNING TO MOVE INTO MAUI COUNTY. THE BAND IS 
MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTH SOUTHWEST AT AROUND 15 MPH WHILE INDIVIDUAL 
CLOUDS ALONG THE BAND AND GENERALLY MOVING TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST 
AT AROUND 2O MPH. THE BAND IS BETWEEN 150 AND 180 MILES WIDE. CLOUD 
TOPS ARE GENERALLY RUNNING AT BETWEEN 7000 FEET AND 10000 FEET. 

AS FAR AS CLOUD COVERAGE OVER THE ISLANDS THEMSELVES...THE ABOVE 
MENTIONED BAND IS CAUSING MOSTLY CLOUDY SKIES OVER MOST OF KAUAI 
AND OAHU INCLUDING THE SURROUNDING COASTAL WATERS. AS MENTIONED 
ABOVE THE SOUTHERN EDGE IS MOVING INTO WINDWARD PORTIONS OF MOLOKAI 
AND MAUI. SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE ALSO SEEN OVER PORTIONS OF THE 
BIG ISLAND MAINLY THE WINDWARD SLOPES AS WELL AS PORTIONS OF THE 
KONA COAST AND ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A BROAD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH CENTERED 
SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES TO THE WEST OF KAUAI. SOME HIGH CIRRUS CLOUDS 
ARE BEING DRAWN UP FROM THE SOUTH ON THE EAST SIDE OF THIS TROUGH. 
THE NORTHERN EXTENT OF THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE OCCASIONALLY MOVING 
OVER PORTIONS OF THE BIG ISLAND BUT THE VAST MAJORITY OF THEM REMAIN 
JUST TO THE SOUTH AND EAST OF THE STATE. THESE HIGH CLOUDS HAVE 
THERE ORIGINS FROM DEEP CONVECTION ALONG THE ITCZ WHICH IS BASICALLY 
CENTERED ALONG 10N.

$$

BURKE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.